Close

Clogged Prusa i3 Blomker Hot End

I recently bought a Prusa i3 variant by Blomker Industries (http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3_Blomker). Right now, the hot end is clogged, and I have no clue on how to unclog it. I'm not even sure how to disassemble it, since it was already assembled when I bought it. So far, I've tried pushing the filament through (using a small allen key), but it wouldn't budge. I'm hoping that some of you could advice me on how to disassemble it, or maybe even unclog it without disassembling the hot end.

Here's a picture of the hot end for reference:

WP_000970.jpg

If you unscrew the brass tip, the finned cylinder on the other side of the block should come free. Then you can check where the blockage is. If it is in the brass tip, you could put the tip in an oven set to the oven's hottest temperature. This will melt the filament and you should be able to feed a length of fine wire through the hole in the tip.

CAUTION!!!! Wear a heat-proof glove when you take the tip out of the oven, or use metal kitchen tongs to hold it.

Old Man Emu

One technique for unclogging a hot tip is to heat it up and then dipping filament into it, pulling it back out and clipping the molten part off. If there is a metal burr that won't go through the nozzle opening, you might capture it with the molten plastic and pull it back out.
    I do this about 5 times, and then I try to push hard enough to get plastic through the tip.
    This technique will also indicate if your tip is getting hot enough to melt the plastic.