Close

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse

New Dremel Printer?

As most of us know, FlashForge built the original Dremel Idea Builder 3D Printer which sold pretty heavily in Home Depot stores. Well, Dremel has a new one, the Idea Builder 2: http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-3D40-01.../dp/B01CP183UA I'm wondering if FlashForge is making this printer too? And, if so will there be a new FlashForge printer coming out soon too?

I scooped one up actually. And I've been having issues. I'm also very new to 3d printing, and very much a novice. But, if anyone has questions about it, please feel free to ask.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    doesn't look like it's got a heated bed, which personally I'd struggle to live without, could be based on the flashforge finder innards but with larger printbed.
    Looks like the same touch panel controls.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    doesn't look like it's got a heated bed, which personally I'd struggle to live without, could be based on the flashforge finder innards but with larger printbed.
    Looks like the same touch panel controls.
    Nope. What's a heated bed do?

lol - it heats up.

Some plastics stick better to a warm/hot bed and come off better once it's cooled.
    Some plastics will only stick to a hot bed.

Some will work with either hot or cold.
    Basically a heated bed increases the number of materials you can use and in an enclosed printer like the dremel would mean you could print fairly easily with things like abs and nylons which prefer not only a hot bed but a heated enclosure as well.

Abs pretty much won't stick unless it's a hot bed - although geoff has recently proved otherwise.

But basically it's a very useful thing to have.

lol - it heats up.

Some plastics stick better to a warm/hot bed and come off better once it's cooled.

Basically a heated bed increases the number of materials you can use and in an enclosed printer like the dremel would mean you could print fairly easily with things like abs and nylons which prefer not only a hot bed but a heated enclosure as well.

Abs pretty much won't stick unless it's a hot bed - although geoff has recently proved otherwise.

Haha, right! ok! Pretty cool, what kind of printer do you have man? What do you use it for?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    lol - it heats up.

I have a video to prove you can print ABS in the right conditions on blue tape with no glue and get a small print out of it, at 208c on a cold bed - but, it was an accident and I only made the video to prove that even when you screw up good things can happen.

This was under the right circumstance tho, it was 28c ambient in the room and the place was a hotbox, whereas last night I could not print ABS properly at all, on even the most stupid settings. It got to 0 degrees ambient temp int he workshop overnight, so the print that had ABS slurry stuck really well to the heated bed - but because the room was so cold even the heated chamber could not keep it hot enough and I got a heap of layer splits.

I used to live in a much warmer place for most of my 3d printing life so far, now up in the country it gets so cold I now understand the problems you can have with it, I was just oblivious because in the city it never really got that cold.

So to anyone previously i've said "ABS is so easy to print with, Im not sure why everyone complains about it" ok ok ok.. I get it now. The last few days in this freezing weather have told me to try and convince clients to print in PLA!
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

lol
    welcome to the northern hemisphere :-) (metaphorically)

Haha, right! ok! Pretty cool, what kind of printer do you have man? What do you use it for?
    Flashforge creator x & and a klic'n'print 3d (essentially an unenclosed creator pro)

I use them for making things.
    All sorts of things.

last weeK: some parts for a roll up table, components for mini-radio controlled vehicles that got posted to the states - over 300 components with a cumulative weight of just 20 gms !
    Dual woodfill and black pla coasters with laser engraved pictures on the woodfill inserts.

basically stuff you either can't buy, or that's cheaper to redesign and print yourself.
    Or anything anyone wants printed :-)
    Currently printing what i hope is the final coaster prototype.

3d printers are just such useful things I would not ever want to be without one these days.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-02-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Isnt it like they are changing their models too fast........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well not really, the dreamer does seem to have a few niggles and dremel are trying to aim at the small business side.
    So releasing an improved machine makes sese.
    Particularly as dremel aren't actually developing or making it themselves.