Close

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diy it?

So I think I'm going to try and build one of these the Lego/Arduino route as a first attempt and then maybe upgrade to a dedicated solution later. What kinds of coils will do as substitutes? Are the official coils custom wound? If so, what gauge and how many turns? Additionally would something like this do for the laser diode. I assume any old 365-405nm laser diode should work provided it's at least 100mW. Lastly is there anything special about the mirrors? Are they a COTS part or if not, will a small fragment of a well cleaned standard bathroom mirror do?
    Last edited by amoose136; 05-24-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Technician
    amoose136, as one of the betas (and one of the 10) the coils are of a very thin wire(that is quite hard to see without magnification)(seems to be about 0.02mm thick) and custom wound, and the coil impeadance is appoximatly 30-38 ohms in the v1 coils, can not measure the pp29 coils as I could not remove the insulation on the wire of the coil during my attempt at building the pp29

Senior Engineer
    I thought he said there were box loads of them. Would be a nice gesture to give them to people trying to make the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I thought he said there were box loads of them. Would be a nice gesture to give them to people trying to make the thing.
    According the graph from the summary they should have box loads of them but not enough for everyone. According to the extracted data from the graph they have around 1200 coils but many other parts they either haven't gotten at all or have barely enough to even cover those who want to build their own.

Student
    Hi everyone !!
    I'm really glad to see the community coming together around this project!
    Just like you, I REALLY want a Peachy printer

I would like to throw my 2 bits onto the table and say that I can get access to a 4'X8' Laser Cutter for cutting the structural pieces for the Peachy.

I need to know:
    -What kind of plastic sheeting is required?
    -What thickness ? ..and any other specific spec for the sheets
    -What kind of company would sell this stuff (there are people locally that could help me with that part too)

Also.
    A wiki page for DISTRIBUTORS needs to be made.
    It should list all people who:
    -have a stock pile of parts
    -How to contact them
    -What region they will serve

Budget and time allowing (can't see how it could be that expensive...Time is another thing altogether) I will purchase the plastic sheets, cut them and distribute.

Thej (Jason)

Technician
    from what I remember 'hearing' the plastic sheet is recycled black abs and measures approx 2.93 mm thick(my guess would be any plastic sheet about 3mm thick), also I can scan the entire existing v1 abs sheet design as I have one unused, one partly (one part removed) and one mostly used sheets

Student
    @Rylan
    Where did you get your PCB's built? Was it a Canadian manufacturer?
    Would you recommend using them?

Also
    Which parts will be difficult for individuals to source?
    Right now I'm thinking Mirrors and Coils (you have stock for now)

Thanks!
    J

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by thej View Post
    @Rylan
    Where did you get your PCB's built? Was it a Canadian manufacturer?
    Would you recommend using them?

Also
    Which parts will be difficult for individuals to source?
    Right now I'm thinking Mirrors and Coils (you have stock for now)

Thanks!
    J
    We used macrofab... they are amazing .. definitely use them!

The hard to source parts ill list them from hardest to easiest.
    coils
    very thin first surface mirror
    tiny magnets
    Ciruit
    laser
    lycra Thread

I have lots of these in stock and as you will see in my next post Im working on a solution which involves me shipping out some of the tricky parts.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Ok so there will be many many ways to DIY a Peachy Printer.
    and I think laser cutting parts is still a good DIY way, as well as 3d printing parts.
    I dont want to hijack this thread with the lego way, so Iv posted about a DIY lego peachy printer here:
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...9264#post89264

Lets also keep talking about other ways to do it in this thread.
    I may be able to offer a small supper cut down parts package, that has the tricky to make/find bits like coils
    and mirrors.

Student
    @Rylan
    That's awesome! My question was a poorly timed as your latest update answered many questions (I even caught "MicroFab" on the boxes ;-)

On another note, I'm planning a trip out your way in about a month and I would like to meetup with you briefly as I'm passing through.
    I would like to continue this conversation via email.

Email me at thej@?sha?w?.?c?a (remove the obvious char) and let me know what you think!

j

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast