Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diy it?

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways

Diy it?

Well now it's all on github who is considering trying to build a peachy from parts themselves?

Ive got a lasercutter so I'm atleast going to be making some of those parts.

i think i will go this way .. have a lasercutter too :-) (and at least the nealy 1000$ are not lost this way :-)

i think of not using the coils , instead small stepper's as mini galvo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chayat View Post
    Well now it's all on github who is considering trying to build a peachy from parts themselves?

Ive got a lasercutter so I'm atleast going to be making some of those parts.
    I don't have a lasercutter, but none of the support structure type stuff should really require it. We can probably do most of that with a extrusion printer (which I have access to at the local makerspace). Why don't we use this thread to coordinate our efforts, maybe setup a wiki so others who come along don't have to redo what we're doing.

There's a lot there on github, so do you guys know what is what? I'd like to take a look at some of the CAD work, if possible. Adapt it to be 3d printed. I should be able to merge what are designed to be snap-fitted into one solid piece. Also, we should start documenting where to source things like the laser from.

@rylangrayston can you arrange to sell just the unpopulated PCBs and maybe that huge sheet of coils, and/or possibly the mirrors: basically the stuff that seems can't be gotten just off the shelf? It seems to me that wouldn't be classified as a laser power supply, and therefor would no longer require the certification. You've got them and don't need them, we want them and don't have them. Seems like a win-win to me.
    Last edited by oninoshiko; 05-12-2016 at 10:32 AM.

OK, the boards are in https://github.com/PeachyPrinter/peachyprinter-pcb it looks like every version rylan's done in a single directory. I understand why it's this way, but that's going to be a mess to work with. Also they are in eagle format. While it's probably small enough to work with the free (as in beer) version of eagle, I would just rather stick with what I've been using, the open-source Kicad. I've forked it in github (https://github.com/oninoshiko/peachyprinter-pcb), and am going to clean this down to just the board (rather then every version) and in Kicad's format. That should make things much easier for people looking at this for the first time. It will probably be monday before I'm done (sorry, I have to work).

Here we go, the physical bits are https://github.com/PeachyPrinter/PeachyPrinterHardware. Again I've forked it to https://github.com/oninoshiko/PeachyPrinterHardware and will be working on getting this to something designed for 3d printing rather then laser cutting. While laser-cutting is probably better for mass production, I think having one geared for 3d printing will be easier for most to get ahold of. In my experience more makerspaces have extrusion printers then have lasercutters.
    Last edited by oninoshiko; 05-12-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    I'm happy to send lasercut parts to people at cost. Once I've made mine I'll know what that will be

Peachy Printer Founder
    WOW
    This Thread makes me so happy!
    Infact I was planing to start a thread like this focused on making a printer with Lego... an idea i toyed with quite some time ago

I will be back here to help.
    If Peachy Printer INC goes dormant for a while Id love to send some of the parts out to a person that can distribute them amongst the community as needed.
    That might be the best thing while Im trying to piece my life back together here lol.
    Another thought is getting the arduino uno to replace the circuit, Im sure this is possible, and would be much easer than populating your own smd peachy board.

As one of the many silent backer the recent news was a bummer, but I think every question and sentiment has already been covered to both the negative and positive extremes, so I'd rather look at how we can move this project forward.

Now that Rylan has kindly opensourced a lot of the info; which personally means a lot more than any of the moaning no matter what went on. Looking through these files a thought occurs - Instead of this crowd sourcing funds rubbish which only really guarantees the money and interest that kickstarter takes (remember the house always wins) what about coming up with a "crowd building" plan and cutting out the parasites altogether by pooling our resources to adapt viable sub-project that would help restart the main project?

i.e. Chayat (hey btw) has a laser cutter and is happy to send parts at cost, but if too many people took this kind offer up it may well becoome unviable. If however we as a community resolve what tasks remain, we could develope a system like 3dhubs or their ilk for each remaining component/process/requirement. Say we start this process with something like the scanner, this could be used to raise funds through the sale of further units, resources could be listed in a shared booking document along the lines of:

Book1.jpg

Organising this kind of thing could possibly be a positive way for rylangrayston etc.. to regain faith, reputation and all that - without further expense or liability.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    “It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble. An animal perfectly in harmony with its environment is a perfect mechanism. Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have a huge variety of needs and dangers.” HG Wells, The Time Machine

OK, I've started "virtually assembling" this into a frame that can be 3d-printed. If anyone wants to help, feel free to fork and work on it, but please try to do pull requests early and often, so we aren't duplicating work.

The file I'm working on is /peachy_printer/printer_parts/assembled.scad in my fork of the PeachyPrinterHardware repo. I'd love to have something I can print on saturday, when the Urbana Makerspace has open access.

@rylangrayston, I have a little electrical experience that might be enough to make an Arduino version. What sort of specs does the peachy board have? I.E. At what frequency are the coils driven at and at what maximum and nominal power and voltage? I need some design constraints if I'm going to make an electrically near drop in replacement board. Also we need to find a good source for compliant laser diodes in multiple countries.

i worked on alternative mirror mounts quiet a while ago .. will search for my "peachy-box" this weekend and reactivate the project :-) but i am not realy good in electronic .. my knowlege begins when it gos digital .. arduino , etc , if someone coud help with all the volts and amperes and such :-)

is anyone from switzerland here ?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast