Rylan I don't speak for anyone but myself and with that being said here are a few quick thoughts from me.

First try not to let the angry people get you down, yes they have a right to be angry after all they invested with you and in your idea. At this point they are most likely not that upset about losing some cash but the fact that they feel like it was stolen witch it was, with luck and your efforts that will be resolved. But mostly I think that it is all the positive energy they have put into following your progress and a real hope desire to see you go all they way with your dream, and having it shattered has left them angry. Not that they don't have reason to be I am not trying to diminish their anxiety in any way, just try not to take it to personal. After all they don't necessarily see what I believe it has done to you, all the personal energy that goes into a project like this, hopes, dreams, the shear stress of getting it right, and having it crushed, this can destroy a man, don't let it. Keep going forward and accept the fact that no matter what you do there will those who will never forget or forgive, you can't change that.

And don't lose your faith in everyone, from what little info I have seen it sounds like this guy was not a criminal so much as a guy who screwed up and can't fix it, though what he did was criminal, hows that for contradiction. If you give up and let the project die that will be a sad thing and a part of you will die with it. But if you fight through it and it still ends well then at least you still have you integrity. Personally I am hoping you weather the storm and come out on top.

Neil

PS I forced myself to keep it short and not ramble on for pages, but this sums up my thoughts.