Close

Researchers 3D Print Calcium Polyphosphate into 3D Printed Bone Scaffolds

University of Toronto professor Bob Pilliar has found a secret ingredient for replacement bone and joints, calcium polyphosphate. The mineral makes up more than 70% of human bones and it could be used to connect the implant with the patient’s existing bone cells to encourage regrowth and create a longer-lasting replacement. University of Waterloo mechatronics engineer Mihaela Vlasea created a 3D printer that uses ultraviolet light and a light-reactive binding agent to fuse the powdered calcium polyphosphate material into a biodegradable bone scaffold. The physical structure of the 3D printed implant will encourage natural bone cells to migrate, and grow, into the scaffold implant, and as the implant begins to be broken down by the patient's body, real tissue will begin to replace it. You can read more over on 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/133667/bone-and-joint-replacements/

I see progress being made in these fields with larger bones in the knee and hip. I have not seen anything in the smaller bones of the hands. Does anyone know if this technology or any other can be used on smaller bones?

My wife has a finger injury. We were told that a joint replacement was not possible due to the sideways pressure on the dip joint on the index finger. We opted to not fuse to leave the possibility open for future advancement in 3d joint and cartridge printing.

finger.JPG