Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to 3D printing, narrowed it down to two choices.

Hi all,

Like the title says I am just now getting into 3D printing and looking for my first printer. I have done a decent amount of digging through the forum and through other sources and have narrowed it down to either the XYZ DaVinci 1.0 Pro or the Robo 3D R1 +.

This link should be a side-by-side comparison between the two.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compar...veItem=1124861

Does anyone have any suggestions for one or the other? Price wise they are very similar and capability wise they seem similar as well. I am leaning a little more towards the XYZ over the ROBO 3D, but just wanted some insight before I pull the trigger. Also, if you have a model you prefer over these two please let me know. I want to stay in the sub $1,000 price range.

Thank you for any help!

Engineer-in-Training
    Well, it looks like XYZ has resolved my hatred for proprietary filament spools (chips in the spools to prevent third party filaments), though they still have the system partially implemented.

Beyond that I would simply choose the one with the larger build volume. The robo is self leveling, has external filament holder, larger build space, and seems to be compatible with more materials.

I guess it would be up to the other guys here with more experience than I have (which is zero) to provide input on details specific to either. I assume you are ok with either price point though, having narrowed it down, but you do get what you pay for as they say.

Plus I figured at least one reply would let you know you aren't being ignored.

Actually, to narrow it down to two with the Davinci being one of the two... If I narrowed it down to about a hundred it might be on the list but I wouldn't bet on it...

Engineer-in-Training
    Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression of the davinci line is more of a plaything than a serious printer. Something you might introduce to kids in a classroom setting. The pro I am unfamiliar with, but the proprietary filament thing really rubs me the wrong way - even if they have changed that.

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like the consensus so far is to stay away from the XYZ machine. Is the Robo 3D R1 + a decent machine or is there something else in the sub $1,000 price range I should be looking at? I was drawn to these two machines due to their heated bed and size of the build space.

Thanks again!

Engineer-in-Training
    I am curious if anyone has any input on the robo. The large build volume seems like it would suit my personal needs, whereas the Trinus I backed and am waiting on is more suited towards my professional ones.

Where do you live ? If you're in the US you can definitely find better machines : I love my printrbot and I think lulzbot has a deserved good reputation.
    If you're in the UK... ask CA and he'll tell you to find a flashforge.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Where do you live ? If you're in the US you can definitely find better machines : I love my printrbot and I think lulzbot has a deserved good reputation.
    If you're in the UK... ask CA and he'll tell you to find a flashforge.
    I am in the U.S., what would you recommend?

Thanks!

I love my printrbot. But people here would tell you as well to look at wanhaousa and lulzbot.

Here's what I made with mine :
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...al-Plus-prints
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...etal-Plus-Mods

Engineer-in-Training
    I highly suggest going for a Rep2 clone. The most respected one is the Flashforge Creator Pro, which is now $999, but there are a number of even cheaper and near identical options (WanHao Duplicator for example)

These style of printers are extremely proven, have a huge install base, and are non-proprietary so they are inexpensive to maintain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast