Close

Student

Question printing high precision prototype parts

Hi, me new to forum and new to the idea getting myself a home printer,
    I am a design engineer for new product development for several high tech companies. I have been designing mechanical parts and assemblies what were printed so I am exposed to high end commercial machines for several years.
    Here comes my question:
    - any of these hobby printers can build a support material beneath a complicated shape so the "active" material is not hanging, the support can be brake off of washed away? I believe you call this simultaneous dual material feed?
    - accuracy is what I need, importing files from high end CAD softwares;
    - what brands/models I shall focus on my research?
    - which software's sticking out?
    Thanks in advance

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    bigHUN, the things you want are the things everyone wants, so please search for similar threads. Some machines can print support material from a second head, some cannot. We call this second head support, or a two material print.

My advice is to get some experience with a sub-$1000 printer, or at a local makerspace. Find out what it's all about, and then decide what you really need.

Staff Engineer
    How much precision do you need? Pro-grade FDM printers will hold about +/- .0035" per inch: http://3dprintwestern.com/3d-print-accuracy/ . I'd expect consumer-grade printers, which are more flimsy in their construction, to be somewhat less accurate, although manufacturers don't seem to be releasing much data about this that I could find. Maybe someone else here will have a link to measured tolerances for various low-end printers. A complicating factor is that accuracy varies depending on the type of feature you're measuring. Heights tend to be more accurate, for instance, than interior holes; as well as mechanical issues with the machine, there are also shrinkage and irregularities in the deposited material to consider.

At the upper end of the consumer spectrum, there are some FFF models that claim to be able to print with soluble support material, as has been standard in the Stratasys machines for some time. I haven't been able to confirm this for myself, but others here say that PVA support filament works with PLA, if you have a machine with dual extruders.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Student

got some sample prints

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    How much precision do you need? Pro-grade FDM printers.....
    ...there are some FFF models that claim...
    Today morning got some sample prints, not really I was expecting. My impression currently that the SLA process is my way to go.
    Investigating now the prices for both the machine and resin. Thanks all for feedback

Engineer-in-Training
    If you are looking for SLA/SLS type of quality then you will be disappointed. Looks like you figured that one out for yourself. I have been working in product development for 25 years and worked for companies that have owned SLA and FDM machines. This technology has a place and it is improving but it's not approaching that level yet.

Student

Sla/sls/fdm

Quote Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
    Looks like you figured that one out for yourself.....This technology has a place and it is improving but it's not approaching that level yet.
    Yes you are right, I made designs only but I never operated the machines by myself. Pretty much I just don't want to bother anybody (to drive there as well) to print me some parts for my hobby projects, taking care of my own comfort what is in front of me. But I would like to get the most precision.
    Can you please advise what brand/models to look for, possibly sub $3000?

Engineer-in-Training
    How detailed and small are the parts we are talking about?

My background is consumer retail, Think mid sized Think power drills being the largest and remote controls at the bottom end. Small parts internally, snap fits and things of that nature. At work today I use our machine here to make prototype trim pieces that I post process and some things for trade shows.

For what I do the creator series from flash forge has served me well. Never had an issue other than the typical extruder jams until this weekend when my Y axis started shifting around and I have a good Idea how to fix that.

The Ultimaker would be my choice having to re buy for work. That might be a machine to look at for higher precision stuff.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    ultimaker is fdm - think bighun is looking at sla machines.

Not a huge range to choose from in the sla market. Some chaepish ones from china which tend to have dodgy reviews at best.

The formlabs form 2 is getting good reviews, well a lot of press anyway.
    The resins are very bloody expensize !

For most sla machines you still need supports as they pull the model from the resin.

The problem is people have unrealistic expectations of home machines.
    What you might consider is upping your initial investment and looking at the sintra desktop sls machine:
    http://sintratec.com/

Proper nylon laser sintering. no supports as the powder supports everything. You have to be careful about closed shapes, as the powder stays trapped inside them. But then every type of 3d printer has it's own little foibles to get round.