Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Follow Spectrom3D On Twitter Add Spectrom3D on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well apart from the obvious: when will it be available, how much will it cost and which ink cartridges does it use, how do you attach it to your printer, will it be compatible with makerbots/flashforge/wanhao etc.
    And how much will it cost :-)

Can't think of any questions at all ;-)
    You seemed to hit all the big ones!
    While I can't give exact answers to all of your questions, I'll try my best.

When will it be available?
    No official date has been announced yet, but we encourage you to sign up for our mailing list and you’ll be the first to know when we make the big announcement!
    How much will it cost?
    The chief objective in developing Spectrom has been color accessibility. That means we want everyone to get their hands on color 3D printing and we are targeting a price that encourages all adventurers.
    Which ink cartridges does it use?
    We are still ironing out those details.

How do you attach it to your printer?
    Our system currently works in conjunction with the printer's extrusion stepper. The bowden tube is also fed directly from our system to the printer.

What printers will it be compatible with?
    Our aim is to get our system to the most amount of printers. So far, we have tested on the Robo3D R1 and the Ultimaker 2.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol so pretty much a work in pregress :-)

oh yes - what if you don't have a bowden setup ?
    And will it also be compatible with 1.75mm filament ?

Staff Engineer
    I believe he means a tube between the spectrom machine and your extruder weather or not the extruder has a tube after it. You'll notice that both the machines the Spectrom was tested on use direct extruders rather than Bowden tubes.

If you do have a significant distance between the extruder and the hot end (such as a Bowden tube), then the machine has to account for that extra length, I assume with some calibration process..

Follow Spectrom3D On Twitter Add Spectrom3D on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    I believe he means a tube between the spectrom machine and your extruder weather or not the extruder has a tube after it. You'll notice that both the machines the Spectrom was tested on use direct extruders rather than Bowden tubes.

If you do have a significant distance between the extruder and the hot end (such as a Bowden tube), then the machine has to account for that extra length, I assume with some calibration process..
    Exactly.

Also, yes, we are currently using 1.75mm PLA in our development.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post

ultimakers are bowden - always have been.
    Also 3mm :-)
    Hence the questions.

How do I purchase the spectrum device for multi color printing

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Wow, this is a pretty awesome device if it does what they claim it will. The Spectrom device was invented by 2 college kids. It costs about $100 and can be installed on basically any 3d printer out there. The computer send code to Spectrmm and that tell the device when to switch colors. This could certainly be a nice step towards cheaper multi-color 3d printers. Here more details about the Spectrom device: http://gigaom.com/2014/03/06/two-col...less-than-100/
    How do I purchase this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12