Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Why using ABS? (difficult to print, stinky...)

Hi guys,

I was just wondering why should i use ABS more than PLA?

Thank you

No reason whatsoever,

there are better alternatives out there, look at Proto Pasta or Polymaker polycarbonate, stiffer than ABS, much less warping, easier to print.

no really, i see no point in printing with ABS if one has not mastered it yet,

Yes i am using Polymaker PC-Plus as well, i have the same opinion as you i dont really know in how ABS can be still useful? :/ Actually i also dont see the point even if you can print it well :/

Engineer-in-Training
    -Abs is less brittle, which is better for some parts.
    -Abs has a higher melt point, which is good for parts that are used outdoors in on hot days.
    -Abs is smoother and more naturally lubricated which makes it less likely to jam an extruder and puts less wear on your nozzles

That said, there are lots of alternatives these days that give ABS a run for it's money in these areas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    -Abs is less brittle, which is better for some parts.
    -Abs has a higher melt point, which is good for parts that are used outdoors in on hot days.
    -Abs is smoother and more naturally lubricated which makes it less likely to jam an extruder and puts less wear on your nozzles

That said, there are lots of alternatives these days that give ABS a run for it's money in these areas as well.
    Less brittle than what ? we would need a unit of measure here for brittleness...

Higher melt point than what ? Proto Pasta High temp carbon PLA, once over treated, has a theoretical Heat Deflection Temperature (HDT) of more than 140C.
    Printed ABS is lower than this.

Smoother and more naturally lubricated ? than what ? I believe Nylon is better. Would need specs here.

Let's try to put some numbers behind our claims. Or else it's just a wasted discussion.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    The problem is that there are hundreds of types of pla, many with better characteristics than abs.

But there are only few types of abs.

The thing is abs was developed for injection moulding - that's why it shrinks, for easy release from the mould.

Where as the advanced pla filaments were specifically developed for 3d printing and because of this are generally much better for both ease of usage and intended use. Because you can use the filament with the properties you actually want.

That said - abs is cheaper. And if you have mastered the art of printing with it and can tolerate the smell and acetone, then it is a very good material.

I can't tolerate the smell or acetone or hassle.

But for those who can - it's good stuff.

The important thing to remember is that while abs is still, pretty much just abs.

There is no such thing as 'pla'. Instead you now have hundreds of different formulation pla-based printing filament.

So it's not actually a valid discussion any more.

PETG is better anyway...

So actually we would always find a better material than ABS (stiffer, tougher, stronger..., or les stiff, less brittle..) which will be much easier to print right? so finally the only purpose to use ABS now is because it is cheap?
    am i understanding well?

I agree with ssayer. I think PETG is better in every way possible.

I dont know anything about PETG :/ But maybe you know : Can we polish it with a solvent, can we finish it in order to have a very smooth finishing part?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast