Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Student
    I like how you talk. You are funny even when something is going bad. I hope you are able to get it off. Good luck!

I sent a PM about the thickness..

Tony

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well with the aid of another piece of printbite, a hammer and a couple of metal scrapers - they are off.
    It was a good idea, but apparently some things you really don't want to use printbite for :-)

Fortunately it's a very hard surface, so doesn't seem to have taken any harm from the experiment.

It does mean that my magnetic removeable print surfaces project is going to move up on the endless 'list of things that need to be done'.

As to my attitude - what's the point of getting worked up about things ?
    Fix the problem and move on :-)

I do have some blue pet (at least i think it's pet) I might be able to make these out of.
    I'll give it a go :-)

right trying out some colorfabb xt - a co-polyester based material.

Very tough and hard wearing, if it'll print this level of detail it'll be much better than pla.
    Nearly as stiff but a lot more hardwearing.

Assuming I can get it off the printbite in one piece lol

well looks good so far.
    Nice looking gears - have to wait for the bed to cool and keep my fingers crossed.

lol well , didn't wait for it to cool but a sharp tap with a strip of printbite and a hammer worked a treat. Two went richocheting around the room before I learnt to keep my hand over them before tapping.
    But these are really really nice and super strong.
    1.36mm thick and I can't bend or break them with my fingers.
    I'll drop them down to somewhere between 1-1.2.

These are the dogs bollocks and no mistake :-)

The smooth one is the bottom from the printbite, the rougher one is the top. You'll have to drill your own holes, but the centre is clearly marked.

right I'll redesign the smaller ones and have a go with those.

I'd have been a little concerned with the pla that the teeth might break off - not a chance of that happening with these. This stuff is super tough.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-10-2016 at 10:57 AM.

lost another couple lol - this next batch I'll put a bit of leather on top before hitting them.

Student
    Loving the gears! Looks great! I hope I am not pushing it by asking this question. Would you happen to have this same material in green? Don't get me wrong, blue looks GREAT! But the gears might show a tiny bit below my green platform/base. This way it would blend in a little bit better than blue.

If not, no big deal. I thought it would not hurt to ask. I plan to cover as much as I can with the base. So the gears might not show at all. I am not sure at this time, due to I have not gone that far yet. I wanted to make sure I can get this to work first. Then tackle that next. Just thinking ahead here a little bit.

Thanks,
    Tony

I can get some green - at the moment the blue is all I have.

last night I upped the tooth count and shortened the teeth. so the big ones are now 12 teeth and the smaller ones 8. They mesh beautifully, turn smoothly without anoy of the catches I was getting with the 7 toothed gears.

My only issue is the distance between centres. I'll have to look/squint (lol) at that picture again.
    But if you say one gear is 10mm and one is 6mm - then half the diameter and you've got 8mm between centres, but at the that point the gears are simply touching, not enmeshed. so you either need slightly larger gears or a distance of somewhere between 7-7.5mm
    Or it's just not going to work.

ps, just had a look on globalfsd and no green xt, assuming this is xt. The problem is I was given it by a dutch guy in a hurry at a tct show who just pulled it off a big unmarked reel, and he never actually told me what it was.
    It's definitely not pla or abs - so xt is the only other coloured filament they made back in 2014.

Basically blue is what I've got :-)
    I can buy a large reel from their website, but you're the looking at around $60 just for a different colour. If I could find a 10 metre sample it would have been around $7 anyway.

And while this is amazing stuff, it's too expensive to just buy because I might need it in the future.

But can't find anyone selling coloured xt samples.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-11-2016 at 04:50 AM.

okay looked at pic again, looks like 7mm between shafts.

I will now try that out with a couple of pins and some cardboard :-)

bugger won't let me upload video files directly.

Ah ha avi to gif convertor.

Let's try this:
    weird, forum turned it into a jpg.
    Alright let's try this:

That's somewhere between 7 and 7.4 mm between centres.
    The new gears have tiny hole in centre.

The only issue was when the small gear rode up the pin and wasn't lined up. when they're both on the same level. they mesh really well.
    These are 1mm thick as well.

Better video clip

http://slinging.org/forum/yabbfiles/.../minigears.avi

That little gif is kind of addictive lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-11-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Student
    Looks GREAT! Well done! Now we can talk in PM about how we can get these gears to me. Thank You!

Tony

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345