Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    gears on hold - currently adapting coffee pod holder to use bamboo skewers rather than metal skewers. I can cut the bamboo with small wire clippers. I have to use big arse bolt cutters for the stainless skewers. Surprisingly hard metal for real cheap skewers.

Student
    No problem. Good luck with that project.

My last 3D printer guy gave me his first gear he tried to print out for the motor shaft. I have to say that it is the perfect size. Problem with it is the teeth. Did not print that well at that size. But after looking at it, I feel he printed it out with to many teeth (26 teeth). That would be hard for a 3D printer to print that many teeth on a tiny gear. I would have not gone over 12 teeth. 12 or 14 max.

Any way, when I get around to it I will post up a picture of this gear. This gear has the diameter size that I want for the motor. Also I know what size I want for the tire gear too. I will have pictures on here some day to show you guys what you think.

Later,
    Tony

lmao just printed 4 gears so small it's ridiculous.
    Picked one up and promptly lost it.

fortunately my camera has a very good macro mode.

probably be better to drop the middle hole from 1.5mm to 1mm.

I have to admit I did not think these would come out anywhere as good as this :-)

They are only 1mm thick. with a 1.5mm centre hole - and even that's a pretty good hexagonal shape - I figured it would just be round. Nope made a damn good attempt at a hexagon.
    Make them 2mm thick and they'd be pretty tough.

lol, maybe not up to the detail you get with sla - but damn I'm impressed what this old girl can do :-)

makerbot really knew what they were doing when they designed the replicator dual and whatever flashforge did can't have hurt :-)

Going to see if I can get a pic of them on my fingertip, could lose them lol

hee hee, anyone got any other daft things to print ?

Come on that's bloody impressive from a printer you can pick up these days for under £300
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-05-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Senior Engineer
    Personally I think it made a better job of a pentagon than a hexagon but hey, at your age with your eyes what else can we expect.

Hexagon or pentagon it is damned impressive.

Student
    Wow! That is small! Nice work!

I think that would fit just inside the tire or right on the tire. Very close. If I ever get around taking pictures of what I have in front of me, it will give a great picture on what I need.

Yeah, the hole size would have to be smaller. Do you think it might need 2 or 3 more teeth, to make sure it catches the other gear all the time?

All and all, that came out nice! Thanks for sharing. Well done!

Tony

I reckon I go up to 8 teeth, make them slightly larger and get away with it.

My main limitation is the fact that I can only extrude a 0.4mm wide bead.
    So for practical purposes 0.8m is the thinnest tooth I can get away with that would be strong enough to actually be functional.
    That said if I used the MYmat carbon fibre reinforced nylon, you might be able to go down to a 0.4mm wide tooth.

With more teeth you lose the gap between them as you go towards the hub, so while you get more teeth, the part that engages the other gears gets shorter.

These are surprisingly tough. I did squash one, but it took a fair bit of pressure.

I had no idea I could print stuff this small.

makes you think an fdm 3d printed wristwatch could be done. But not by me lol

Okay at that size, 7 teeth and 1.2mm teeth width is my maximum, any narrower and they won't slice, any more teeth and you don't have enough to engage another gear. Also made them marginally wider and 2mm thick.

1mm hole. And these I can't crunch between 2 fingers. 2mm pla is proper strong :-)

need to change the outer layers from 1 to 2, that'd bond the middle more to the 'legs'.

But I tell you as they stand - these would work !
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-06-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Student
    I like that amount of teeth. Yeah, I think that would work too.

Can the middle hole be smaller or is that the smallest you can go?

I have to leave to cut a person lawn. I will try to get some pictures up for you. I know the perfect gear size for the motor shaft.

Thanks again for all that you are doing.

Tony

Senior Engineer
    I think it would be a lot better with no hole in the centre and drill it afterwards.

Student
    Mjolinor, I am good with drilling the hole myself. But I need something in the middle to show me where to drill a hole. If I am off, that gear will be no good.

Just got back from cutting grass. Now I am going to eat. After that I will look at taking those pictures and get them up on here.

Later,
    Tony

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast