Close

Weird warping on one side of print

Hello, Ive been doing test prints doing a hollow 20mmx20mm cube. I have been getting this warp at the base of my prints consistently. I've leveled my ROBO R1 and adjusted it to see if anything works, but still have been having problems. I have pics of what setting I'm using for my ABS print. Can anyone suggest what else to try to get rid of this problem?

IMG_1669.JPG IMG_1670.jpgIMG_1671.jpgIMG_1672.jpg
    sorry for the sideways pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Print temp is very high. Speed is also quite fast.
    That could be it right there.

Try 235 at 60mm/s

In fact you've got your travel and print speeds the wrong way round.
    Travel speeds are usuallt faster than print speeds. I tend to keep them the same to cut down on filament spikes where it's pulled by the suddenlt accelerating print head.

Never seen travel slower than printspeed before.

I changed the setting and it still had the warping problem, but it looked a lot better when it leveled out. I messed with the extruder flow settings, and after bringing it down a bit, the print looked better and better. I just had too much wanting to come out at once.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Are you talking about the poorly printed wall at the bottom of the print? That looks like a thermal management problem to me. The combination of the 250 degree nozzle temp and the 106 degree bed temp could be keeping the printed ABS material soft. As new layers are printed on top of the soft walls, they don't provide a solid printing surface since the soft material squishes around with nozzle movement. Ragged walls and roundish corners are a common result of trying to print onto material that is too soft. Watch your printing - if you see the print shifting as the nozzle moves around, there's no way the new layer will be printing as good as it would on a solid surface.

As you get higher up on the print, heat soak from the bed becomes less and less of a factor. At some point the printed material is able to cool enough between layers to provide a harder surface to print on, and all of a sudden you start getting crisper corners and better defined walls.

It isn't necessarily consistent on all sides of the print because of room airflow or normal convection airflow from the heat rising off the heatbed. Are you actually using a print cooler like your settings show? That'd be unusual for ABS, but would also explain why not all sides look the same. Print cooler designs rarely if ever cool in all movement directions equally.
    Last edited by printbus; 05-02-2016 at 03:25 PM.