Close

Question Need specific SLA or DLP Printer - Who can help?

Hi there,

iam looking for a 3D-Printer (SLA or DLP) for scientific purpose I have the following requirements:

- resin bath with option to heat up to ~ 80 - 100 °C
    - amount of resin for starting a print should be somehow very low (around 200 ml)
    - custom made materials/resins possible
    - custom light/uv Settings (different intensities)

So far i did not find any match in the commercial sector. I might have to customize... but maybe i missed something. Thank you very much in advance for any hints on where to find such a 3D Printer.

Cheers

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Heated resin ?
    That's a new one on me.

You might have to do that mod yourself.

Can't think of anything current that meets your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Heated resin ?
    That's a new one on me.

You might have to do that mod yourself.

Can't think of anything current that meets your requirements.
    Yes, because some resin materials i want to check out only become liquid at certain elevated temperatures.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Have you looked at the VCD-25 head on a System 30M, both from Hyrel?

This looks interesting! When does it uv-light the material? After each layer?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    You have several options.

You can illuminate the LEDs on the print head with each printing move; this is the default mode.

You can replace the LEDs under the Y-arm with LEDs at your wavelength, print a layer, and then pass each layer under the LEDs.

Or you can print without the LEDs, and code in a path to follow with the LEDs on.

Note that materials require a certain wavelength and a certain amount of light to photoinitiate.

Please call or email me with your questions. I'll give you a demo over skype and teamviewer.

Thanks,
    Davo

Staff Engineer
    Heating the resin up to 100 C would require a resin vat capable of withstanding that temperature. Most of the ones I've seen are made of plastics that would degrade significantly if heated that much. Have you got the ability to manufacture a vat from solid borosilicate glass? I think something like that would be required.

Thank you all very much so far. I will need some more time to think everything through Davo. Also me being over in europe could be a problem, don't you think? For example if i would need some Training on the 3d-printer or any other Kind of Support.

I now heard from a supplier, that it might be possible to heat the whole build chamber. What do you guys think about that? Also maybe 60 - 70 °C could be enough for most of my planned tests. Building a new heatable vat could be an Option too, but then i gotta think about uv permeability of the new material. But i think Borosilicate glass might work really well as it is pretty permeable for wavelengths over like 375 nm, isn't it?

All training and support is done via skype and teamviewer. I have customers in UK, Finland, Denmark Germany, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands... mostly universities, some individuals.

We don't recommend heating our chamber past 55C. If you heat yours to 70C, ensure the components are rated to perform at that ambient temperature.