Close

Printing ABS on Axiom series printer

Hello everyone,

I have been having an ABS printing issue for a few days now that I would like to get solved soon. I am trying to print ABS on my Axiom from airwolf3D but the ABS is having a hard time sticking to the build plate on the first layer

I have the printing temp set to 255 deg C and the build plate set to 130 deg C. I also have applied wolfbite (which is designed to have the ABS stick to the build plate). The initial layer thickness is 0.4 mm. I am unable to comment on how close the hot end is to the build plate. Is there a setting somewhere in Cura that will let me set this and adjust? The first layer is building the raft.

My speed is 50 mm/sec.

I am basically using one of their standard profiles for printing the pieces. From looking online, I think that I am doing what everyone is saying. I did notice though that when I let the build plate stay at a preheated temp (120 deg C) for 15 min, results improved. Probably because the glass plate is still heating up and distributing the heat and the ambient air temp is increasing.

But, I wanted to ask the community if there is anything else that I can do to improve the success rate of the getting the first layer down. Could humidity or some other environmental factors factor into the first layer sticking?

Is there anyway that I can improve my post so that I can get more responses?

I know that there is a lot of material online for printing with ABS and getting the first layer to stick. I have followed all of tips and I am still having an issue of the first layer not sticking. Could it be that the wolfbite is not as good as they say?

A few things.

Unless you have a very big nozzle, a 0,4mm thickness won't work. I assume you have a 0,4mm nozzle ? Then don't go over 0,25mm layers.

For a first layer I would recommend a 0,1mm or 0,2mm thickness.

Are you confident that your printer bed is level and that the Z-offset is set correctly (the distance between hotend and bed) ?

130°C and 255°C seem VERY HOT. I don't print aBS much but I think you'd be better off 20°C lower on each.

Yes, in any case, letting your machine warm up for min 5 to 10 minutes is a good thing, especially if you print ABS.

Have you turned off the fan in your slicer ?

The early airwolf models were "open boxes", with large holes and the front and sides. If that's still the case try to close it with cardboard panels to keep the heat in.

Finally, try to slow your print for the first layer, it helps adhesion a lot.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by philm001 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have been having an ABS printing issue for a few days now that I would like to get solved soon. I am trying to print ABS on my Axiom from airwolf3D but the ABS is having a hard time sticking to the build plate on the first layer

I have the printing temp set to 255 deg C and the build plate set to 130 deg C. I also have applied wolfbite (which is designed to have the ABS stick to the build plate). The initial layer thickness is 0.4 mm. I am unable to comment on how close the hot end is to the build plate. Is there a setting somewhere in Cura that will let me set this and adjust? The first layer is building the raft.

My speed is 50 mm/sec.

I am basically using one of their standard profiles for printing the pieces. From looking online, I think that I am doing what everyone is saying. I did notice though that when I let the build plate stay at a preheated temp (120 deg C) for 15 min, results improved. Probably because the glass plate is still heating up and distributing the heat and the ambient air temp is increasing.

But, I wanted to ask the community if there is anything else that I can do to improve the success rate of the getting the first layer down. Could humidity or some other environmental factors factor into the first layer sticking?
    1. You are printing too hot, this will have the same effect as a cold plate. The ABS is too hot and curls up directly after printing. You should not have to exceed 235c at absolute max temp for ABS, no matter the machine. 228c ideally.
    2. The build plate is also too hot - I'm not sure what yours is rated to but mine at 130c is pushing it's limit - 100-110c should be fine, if it's not then onto #3...
    3. What surface are you printing on? ABS should stick to Kapton tape without any assistance, if it doesn't your environment needs tweaking.

A good sure way to get ABS to stick without messing about is using yellow or blue painters tape and using a Glue stick smeared on the tape.
    Apply the glue stick immediately before the printer starts printing - not at the start of the preheat otherwise the glue will dry - I smear mine on as it is doing the final home before starting the print - don't be precise, just smear it everywhere, it's invisible so you won't see it anywhere but by the time it prints layer 2 and 3, the glue will start to cure and it will be stuck so well, the blue tape will come off the bed with it, in which case you just peel that off your object. This method has done me fine for years.

Finally, Lambda is right with the open panels, if you are getting drafts blowing on your print that will affect ABS printing.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Hello,

Thank you for the replies. After some experimenting, I was able to get the ABS to stick. My printing temp was 260 and bed temp 140.

The axiom series is bow fully enclosed. AS for the Kapton tape, I ma using the wolf bite which should be able to replace the tape.

I will have to try slowing the printer down alot
    I am confident that this is the case becuase the ABS is squished a little on the first layer. It looks more like an oval.

The 0.4 mm thickness I am able to do because I have a 0.5mm hot end