Close

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse

Trials of UK brand hairspray for 3D printing

We have started a hunt for a brand of hairspray that works well in 3D printing, first layer adhesion. So we decided to start running trials using ABS and seeing which hairsprays resulted in the least warping.

Any brand/version suggestions would be much appreciated, although we are a UK based 3D printer supplier so we would like the brands to be available in the UK. SO if you have suggestions please put your country down. That also means fellow countrymen, or women, can make use of your knowledge.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
    We have started a hunt for a brand of hairspray that works well in 3D printing, first layer adhesion. So we decided to start running trials using ABS and seeing which hairsprays resulted in the least warping.

Any brand/version suggestions would be much appreciated, although we are a UK based 3D printer supplier so we would like the brands to be available in the UK. SO if you have suggestions please put your country down. That also means fellow countrymen, or women, can make use of your knowledge.
    Not sure on the brand I use. It costs me $1 from the Bargain store, lasts me forever, works like a charm - but it's not really any good on anything other than kapton. It dries too fast on Glass I find.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bought a tube from home bargains some time back.
    Basically was the strongest hold that listed vinyl in the ingredients.

Many many years ago I worked in a chemicals packaging factory - this was before they considered seperating the hydroflouric acid vats from the main factory floor - health and safety: not so much :-)

And we packaged three strengths of hand barrier cream. All three were the exact same cream.
    It's more cost effective to make one substance and three labels than three substances.

So I'd guess that in the cheap hairspray market, no matter what it says on the tin - you're buying the maximum strength spray.
    Check the ingredients and if they're the same and in the same order - it's all the same stuff.

I'll look up what the brand name was when I go into the workshop.

Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    @Geoff, if you can find out the brand and post the info then you can help out fellow Australians in their hunt for hairspray.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    bought a tube from home bargains some time back.
    Basically was the strongest hold that listed vinyl in the ingredients.

Many many years ago I worked in a chemicals packaging factory - this was before they considered seperating the hydroflouric acid vats from the main factory floor - health and safety: not so much :-)

And we packaged three strengths of hand barrier cream. All three were the exact same cream.
    It's more cost effective to make one substance and three labels than three substances.

So I'd guess that in the cheap hairspray market, no matter what it says on the tin - you're buying the maximum strength spray.
    Check the ingredients and if they're the same and in the same order - it's all the same stuff.

I'll look up what the brand name was when I go into the workshop.
    yeah we just had a big uproar here about Neurofen (like a panadol, ibuprofen)

They made Neurofen Arthritis, period pain, back pain... fast relief... etc etc They basically made about 20 types and branded them all to apparently relieve different symptoms.. but the ingredients were the same in all of them.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    @Geoff, if you can find out the brand and post the info then you can help out fellow Australians in their hunt for hairspray.
    Really? it's hairspray mate I don't think my fellow Australians really need my help nor any one's in finding it.. Between Big W, Aldi, Woolworths, The Reject Shop, David Jones, Myers, Kmart, Target .etc etc etc.. I think we're good.

It's purple and says "Hairspray" "Made in China"

@curious_aardvark, this is true, it's all made by the same companies and then re-branded/re-labeled. 'Maximum Hold' from a well known supermarket has worked the best so far but still not great. We have found one called "fixation" which sounds promising, hopefully it will live up to its name.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Really? it's hairspray mate I don't think my fellow Australians really need my help nor any one's in finding it.. Between Big W, Aldi, Woolworths, The Reject Shop, David Jones, Myers, Kmart, Target .etc etc etc.. I think we're good.

It's purple and says "Hairspray" "Made in China"
    Alright, alright, keep your hair on.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Alright, alright, keep your hair on.
    *Badoom Tish

No, I'm not getting angry, I'm just getting confused...

Enjoy your adventures in the world of Hairspray. Godspeed on your travels.