Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice for a 3D Printing Newbie

Hey guys, my name is Ronald. I am extremely interested in 3D printing. One day I'd like to design 3D objects, and print them on a future printer that I will own. I just have no clue where to start. I am an artist, and I am good with 3D design (at least I think I am). However, I have never even tried CAD or anything like that.

Where do you guys suggest I start? Do I start with some 3D software? Do I have a certain company print these designs for me? Any advice would be so much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ronald

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Personally, I started using Tinkercad...

It's free and very simple to learn and use.

If you really want to print things before you have your own printer, then I think you should use shapeways.

If you ever need help with a model, or just don't know what to make then you can ask for help over at http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...amp-Assistance

Student
    Like MA mentioned (above), find a basic modeling package (preferably something free), and start learning the ins and outs. I personally started by using Sketchup to mock-up simple CAD models, and a program called Kerkythea to render them photo-realistic.

As I used Sketchup more and more, I would start to import and tweak other people's stuff, which I found through the Sketchup Warehouse (a vast community, and that provides free models for download). At that point I started to find out that in order to do certain operations outside of what the program usually did, that I would need to start using Plugins. As I started to use more plugins, it quickly became apparent that the things I wanted to do would require a polygonal modeller, and not a CAD program. So from there, I switched over to Modo, a polygonal modeller. I switched to Modo for a couple reasons, but mostly because I liked the interface and usability after trying out a few different programs, but also because a local school was providing classes, so I took one after about a year of just learning it on my own (mostly through YouTube videos).

Recently I added ZBrush to my software list. For most anything I want to make, I will use a combination of Modo and ZBrush because what I make usually deals with characters, or organic models, that are non-specific to dimension. If you are wanting to make things that are very precise, such as electronic enclosures, or those that have mechanical functions, you will need to continue using CAD, in which case I would suggest Solidworks or Rhino (which are Premium (not-free) software packages).

Either way, I would still suggest Sketchup as a starting point. Not that Tinkercad is wrong. Nothing is wrong. It's just my personal preference.

Also, as MA mentioned (above), Shapeways is a great service for printing your objects. I would LOVE to have a 3D printer right now, but frankly, Shapeways quality is pretty tough to beat. For the costs and time involved with printing through them though, it certainly makes me focus down my designs before I just poop something out.

Here are some links to check out if you like:

Sketchup: http://www.sketchup.com/
    Kerkythea: http://www.kerkythea.net/

I personaly wouldnt go with shapeways to much, Since they are quiet expensive.

As 3d model software, well the guys above me have answered that ^^

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    I personally wouldn't go with Shapeways too much, since they are quiet expensive.
    I might note that you are also located in Belgium (correct?), so there are probably additional shipping/handling fees associated with your orders. That is not to say that Shapeway's ISN'T expensive, however you are probably paying a premium for their services based on your location.

CHART: http://on3dprinting.com/wp-content/u...g-Services.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CreativeCoPilot; 10-20-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeCoPilot View Post
    I might note that you are also located in Belgium (correct?), so there are probably additional shipping/handling fees associated with your orders. That is not to say that Shapeway's ISN'T expensive, however you are probably paying a premium for their services based on your location.

CHART: http://on3dprinting.com/wp-content/u...g-Services.png
    Just meant with it that Shapeways is nice for a single use / a couple of times,
    But if you realy want to make quiet a bit products, it might be better to build a printer yourself, even tho shapeways products are very nice as quality goes i know,

Also ye i live in Belgium, Shapeways is in Netherland so shipping would be aprox 5-10 euros, not that much, its just for small pieces Shapeways is decent, But as you increase size, It becomes quiet expensive.

Oh well..

Hello All,

Tinkercad is great, but I find it a bit fiddley. Sketchup is really nice and does not require an internet connection. I use them both; I wish I was better with Tinkercad because I love the concept.

I've never used Shapeways. But just out of curiosity I uploaded one of my 3D elevation models (.stl) to Shapeways to get a quote-- nothing fancy, just regular ABS. $800! The model itself was 15cm x 15cm x 2cm. But it had a ton of vertices. I print the same thing on my RepRap Prusa for less than $5.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Just meant with it that Shapeways is nice for a single use / a couple of times.
    Totally agree. I'll sometimes get one really nice print through SW, and then cast some additional pieces in resin off of it.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams03 View Post
    $800! The model itself was 15cm x 15cm x 2cm. But it had a ton of vertices. I print the same thing on my RepRap Prusa for less than $5.
    Shapeways prints in powder, so you can have massive overhangs, and all sorts of other unusual design configurations that you would otherwise be unable to achieve with something like ABS, you know? Also, their overall quality is vastly superior. What you'll want to do is learn how to shell out your models, and what I mean by this is that you will need to create your geometry so that it has a hallow cavity. I purchased NetFabb Pro specifically for this, but you can use other programs that support boolean operations to achieve the same result. Here is a model I posted on Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:134351. Bre Pettis posted the original here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:134351 So, by looking at the two, you can see that I subtracted the entire interior, and left a wall thickness of (if I recall correctly) around 1mm. That's all done just to save on material cost.

^This is why I feel home printers is the future in rapid prototyping for artists such as myself. Services like Shapeways are very useful and high quality, but the price is unreachable to most, especially when it comes to large prints that will most likely get reworked in another medium such as wax. With home printers it's cheap and honestly, you can fit a lot of details as well. It might not as clean but like I said, for larger pieces you'll want to transfer to wax to sort out balance issues etc anyway. It's a good $500 investment IMO. In fact...shameful plug...that's what I'm doing in my kickstarter project right now!

As for software mentioned in the OP, I use ZBrush exclusively but they have a free one called Sculptris you can try out. It's a very straightforward software and once you get introduced to all the tools and brushes, you'll be sculpting in no time! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
    Last edited by MeoWorks; 10-22-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast