Close

Engineer-in-Training

Flexible build plates?

I'm looking for flexible build plate such as Zebra and Fleks3D. Right now, I'm using Buildtak on PowerSpec Ultra 3D (Flashforge Dreamer/Creator clone). I use PLA plastic filament. Sometimes, it's hard for me to remove the printed job from the Buildtak plate without ruining either the plate or the job. I think that my putty knife isn't sharp enough. I'm afraid to use plates that need clips because the extruders may hit the clips. I thought that the Fleks3D plate is better because of the frame that the plate goes into. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    if you're using pla - then printbite is about as good as it gets.
    has adhesive backing so just sticks on your existing plate.
    No messing about with clips

doesn't flex, doesn't need to.

Basically you run the build plate at 60 and the pla sticks. when the bed cools down it just unsticks.
    No need to ever damage the plate.

Long term I think this is probably the current best option for pla.

I'm not convinced it's much good for anything else, but for pla - it really is fantastic.

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...4976#post84976

I love my Gecko plate
    http://www.geckotek3d.com/

looking at the adverts for the ht and nylon plate - I have to say it looks almost identical to my printbite.
    But about twice the price.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    I'm looking for flexible build plate such as Zebra and Fleks3D. Right now, I'm using Buildtak on PowerSpec Ultra 3D (Flashforge Dreamer/Creator clone). I use PLA plastic filament. Sometimes, it's hard for me to remove the printed job from the Buildtak plate without ruining either the plate or the job. I think that my putty knife isn't sharp enough. I'm afraid to use plates that need clips because the extruders may hit the clips. I thought that the Fleks3D plate is better because of the frame that the plate goes into. Any suggestions?
    No need for a flexible build plate, in fact I'd almost say that could give worse results (although never tried one) but considering you are always hunting a dead flat plate that doesn't warp - a flexible plate that could actually bend when plastic starts to cool and rise, seems a bit odd to me.

I use BuildTak and the important thing is get it off soon - don't let it sit there or yes it becomes super stuck. I accidentally got some grease on my build tak surface from my fingers and I have lately been putting blue painters tape over the buildtak because things were not sticking well, believe it or not it does a better job than the black surface and your prints have a nicer finish.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technologist
    Follow mikethebomber On Twitter Add mikethebomber on Facebook Add mikethebomber on Google+
    If PLA is your choice, just cut a piece of Lexan to your build plate size. PLA sticks fine and pops off. If you like to play with materials, I'm liking the idea of Printbite, or what might be the US equivalent, (we never settled on this, Aardvark) Adhesive backed sheets of PEI from www.cshyde.com

I have no idea what printbite is made of or how it works.
    But I am increasingly impressed with it.

Can we talk Gecko Tek? I've heard about it and its a local company for me, but everything i'm finding out there is from there kickstarter days and it isn't good frankly. Have they came around?