Close

Getting layer shifting on Dreamer

Recently started getting layer shifting on all of my prints from the base all the way to the top of the print. I checked and tighten all of the belts and pulleys, still seeing the shifting. Went to update firmware(running very old 1.4), and printer will not connect to computer(I always use sd card for my prints). Also when I start the machine the screen starts up in Chinese(just started happening). Can firmware cause layer shifting issues and is it ok to remove micro sd card from machine and install firmware that way?
    Thanks

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jk76 View Post
    Recently started getting layer shifting on all of my prints from the base all the way to the top of the print. I checked and tighten all of the belts and pulleys, still seeing the shifting. Went to update firmware(running very old 1.4), and printer will not connect to computer(I always use sd card for my prints). Also when I start the machine the screen starts up in Chinese(just started happening). Can firmware cause layer shifting issues and is it ok to remove micro sd card from machine and install firmware that way?
    Thanks
    I am unsure on the dreamer, but most SD card inputs on 3D printers are for SD cards and loading Gcode from them, not for updating the firmware - with the exception of Duet boards and possibly Rambo's which load the firmware off an SD like a raspberry pi does.

I would try and find an older firmware and flash it back.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Student
    Yes, if you put the new firmware in the sys folder of the microsd card, the dreamer will try to load it when it starts.
    But be careful about versions. If you have updated Flashprint that is why you have a connect problem. e.g Flashprint 2.x would not talk to firmware 1.x. It was necessary to update the firmware first.
    There have been several changes in communications... mostly improvements... but it is wise to keep them somewhat in sync.
    There is also a problem with some early Dreamers that seem to have problems with newer firmware. It might be wise to contact FF (China) or Tang if you bought it through Amazon to make sure that the version you wish to use is compatible with your printer. I stopped updating around firmware 2.4.20150916 because of the problems I heard people having. One day I am going to try to get up to speed on what I can do to update but right now things just seem to work and I hate to spoil it.
    Graham

edit to add
    I doubt the layer shifting is firmware related... more likely some kind of mechanical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jk76 View Post
    Thanks