Close

Student

Question Getting the prusa I3 on track

Hello everyone!

I finally made it I bought my first 3D printer! The prusa I3 (zonestar P802) Ok... a chinese one... on a budget... but still, it's mine and I feel we are going to share a lot of adventure together. The first adventure went quite smoothly as the assembly took me 3 hours (mechanical and wiring). The second one... well, nothing happened.

Let me explain:
    - Triple checking the wiring
    - Making sure the power supply (PS) switch is on 220V
    - Powering the PS
    - Nice green led on the PS and its fan is making a cute humming
    - One tiny red led is on for 2/3 seconds on the control board then goes off
    - NOTHING HAPPENS (ever)

I opened a ticket on aliexpress but I think it would be wise not to just wait for them to reply... first of all because if I keep everything for myself it won't help the community (I had quite the trouble finding anything related to that on the web, yup I am a newbie in 3D printers) and second because they might just not answer with a decent delay, or with an accurate answer, or at all. So here am I, using this thread to talk about the printer, its problems and I really hope, about the related solutions.

So if you could throw directions, or advice, or whatever, I would really appreciate it!

Oh, I almost forgot... Google was not my best friend on this one. I need to learn the "3D printing community search language" to achieve anything, and meanwhile I have to start somewhere.

Thanks a lot guys!

Student
    Ok so I called one guy I know who have a 3D printer shop and he helped me a bit... Apparently the firmware was not uploaded to the board. And it reminded me of playing with the arduino mega board. I remember the first time I switch it on and I had the same behaviour.

I will tell you if it solved the problem.

The nice guy: http://idea3d.fr/contact/

You should be uploading Marlin RCBugFix found here for the easiest path forward: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/RCBugFix

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    You should be uploading Marlin RCBugFix found here for the easiest path forward: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/RCBugFix
    Thanks a lot for you answer Roxy! Unfortunately it seems it runs with repetier...

So that what I have done:
    1. Getting all the files needed:
      1. Something called "UpdateFw_melzi.bat" that runs "avrdude.exe" using the proper COM and a file named "P802NV20.hex"
      2. Sanguino
      3. What they called "source code" which is the Repetier project
      4. Repetier host and server
      5. Arduino IDE (last version) & serial port driver (everything was already installed as I play with arduino)

2. Putting the jumper to USB config on the main board
    3. Powering the printer, plugging it to the computer (board initializing -> red led on for 2 seconds and off, LCD screen off, cooling fan on). The computer detected it -> COM4
    4. Installing repetier server and host
    5. Trying to install/upgrade the firmware, it freezes: screenshot.jpg
    6. Putting Sanguino into the "hardware" folder of Arduino install
    7. Launching Repetier.ino
      1. Choosing the "sanguino W/ATMEGA 1284P 16Mhz" board
      2. Choosing the COM4 port
      3. Verifiying the code (I had a problem and I needed to put the "libraries" and "core" folder that where on the "repetier" one inside the arduino install dir, otherwise it will compile all those files which are inside a subfolder of the .ino project) -> OK
      4. Uploading the code -> "avrdude stk500_getsync() not in sync" error -> meaning that the board is not reachable

8. I spend a lot of time correcting the problems above... Then, I was tired, I mechanically launched "repetier server" and oh surprise, my printer is here...
    9. Setting the printer with the proper parameters
    10. Starting a print:
      1. the 0-Z is too low and the extruder touches the bed... so the first layer remove the blue tape
      2. LCD screen is still off
      3. Result of the first print firstPrint.jpg
      4. The first 8mm are fine, the other layers are not attached to each other

Ok so there are a lot of things and problems... Here is a little summary:
    -> 2: Why LCD screen is off and how do I put it on?

-> 4: Why the firmware installation is freezing and how to properly install my "P802NV20.hex" one?

-> 6.4: Why have I the "avrdude stk500_getsync() not in sync" error and how do I reach the board?

-> 7: Why is it possible to reach the printer using repetier host/server and impossible with cmd/arduino IDE?

-> 9.1: How can I set a Z-offset?

-> 9.4: I think the problem is because the temperature of the bed warm the first layers and not the other one and/or the printing speed is too high, is that right?

Thanks a lot again =)

Student
    I solved some of the problems and I am getting closer to find a proper solution for the remaining ones:

2: Why LCD screen is off and how do I put it on?
    -> because it was not plug the right way (no indication about the right way) FIXED

4: Why the firmware installation is freezing and how to properly install my "P802NV20.hex" one?
    -> apparently, the avrdude conf is not right, same problem as the 6.4 NOT FIXED

6.4: Why have I the "avrdude stk500_getsync() not in sync" error and how do I reach the board?
    -> see point 4 NOT FIXED

7: Why is it possible to reach the printer using repetier host/server and impossible with cmd/arduino IDE?
    -> not a clue... I have to understand about the differences regarding the communication protocoles between avrdude and repetier host/server NOT FIXED

9.1: How can I set a Z-offset?
    -> that's not a proper problem, I have a sensor for the auto-levelling bed feature, I have to use it FIXED

9.4: I think the problem is because the temperature of the bed warm the first layers and not the other one and/or the printing speed is too high, is that right?
    -> all wrong, the speed of the printing was too high. So I properly sliced and everything is perfect! FIXED

Student
    It appears I solved all the problems... hurray!

4: Why the firmware installation is freezing and how to properly install my "P802NV20.hex" one?
    -> The problem is a compatibility with my computer. So I used another one and everything went fine... As I won't update the printer every day, I considered the problem solved.FIXED

6.4: Why have I the "avrdude stk500_getsync() not in sync" error and how do I reach the board?
    -> see point 4 FIXED

7: Why is it possible to reach the printer using repetier host/server and impossible with cmd/arduino IDE?
    -> see point 4 FIXED

But other ones appeared... the lack of rigidity of the overall assembly gives a big load to the motors of the Z-axis. So it was tweaks and tweaks... I am not fully satisfied but it is working so far. And also the metal bed is a pain in the a**! Not sticky without blue tape, too much with blue tape...