Close

Changed priint head, where do the connectors go?

The original print head on my Flashforge played up badly a while ago so I changed it for a new one. (long story)
    I thought I put all the connectors back into the right place but (from memory) the wrong fan started up when the extruder warmed up. Does anyone know which plugs go into the right connectors? There's three pair of two I think, I must have a couple swapped over.
    Yes I could just swap them to work it out, but if someone already knows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you could have swapped them by now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    you could have swapped them by now :-)
    And that could also easily makes things worse.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    One good thing to eventually do is fully separate the left wires from the right wires and run them each in their own conduit.. I do this on all my printers as soon as I get them. From the factory the wires are a jumbled up mess in the harness.

Thanks, that may be the best way to fix it.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Well it won't fix it, but it sure does make figuring out what goes where much easier. Also it is better doing it this way if you want to remove an extruder. Since all the wiring is separate, just take extruder out and unplug the wiring for that side and pull the whole harness out.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Ergh...

Note - look at wiring before pulling out, take photo - then pull wires out it's much easier that way.

Ok, look I just don't have the time right now to do this one, I can help you, I just need to pull my flashforge open, trace the wiring and tell you which one goes where, but man that's time I just haven't got right now sorry.

If you have a multimeter, just make sure the output is 24 volts before you swap them over, as one of them is the thermistor, so don't swap unless you check.

I would personally be doing a preheat and see if the hotbed temp reads OK and so does the nozzle - a fan not running will not kill it, trust me. Once you have confirmed that the heating is working, the left extruder heats when you want it to and the right does etc, and the hotbed works... then check the voltages on the fan outputs on the board, and as I said swap the two that have a 24v output.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Okay thanks fellas - I'll remove one extruder (I only ever use one anyway) and that'll make it a lot easier.

All fixed now.
    Turned out to be easier to leave both heads in place, due to the way the wiring & connectors are made. Just swapped over a couple of connectors and it all seems to work well now. I'll give it a run tomorrow to make sure.
    Thanks for the help.