Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

OLO... a Smartphone 3D printer?!?

Anyone have any more info or comments on this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...one-3d-printer

Student
    I am a bit skeptical about it. Getting the light from your phone to focus on the resin just seems a bit magical. Other 3D printer systems have projectors with lenses or a scanning laser to create a bright focused light zone that cures the polymer. This thing just seems to sit on the phone. The light coming out of a phone is very diffuse (unfocused) support a sheet of paper over your phone a couple of mms and see how fuzzy the image looks. That's what your 3 D print would look like. The bottom of the tank has to be some distance away from the screen just to have enough thickness to allow peeling without damaging the tank bottom. If you used micro lenses in the bottom plate they would reduce resolution or scramble the edges of the image. A large lens would require a much thicker base to focus. Some kind of microchannel fiber optic plate might work but something like that would be very expensive and likely fragile. The videos of the cutaway build to me look fake so I'm keeping my money until I see one of these things work in person or a much more detailed explanation of how it actually works to solve the imaging problem.

agree with what n23d says, PLUS the real cost of this 3d printer becomes 500$ more when you need a decently high rez phone (iphone, galaxy) to run it.
    because im not putting my personal phone under this thing for 3 hours while it prints.

I backed it just to see if it works. I've got a nice enough phone, although I am skeptical whether it will be high quality regardless. Expect a review here in a couple months, a year, hell maybe 2 or 3 years :P

Engineer-in-Training
    They are using some sort of polarization method to "straighten" the path of the light from the camera's screen.

Engineer
    If smartphones could emit UV light strong enough, don't you think you would be still here and reading this? Even if it only use visible light to cure, I highly doubt the light brightness is strong enough to cure the resin. That would clearly imply only a few selected smartphones will be compatible with this OLO.
    On top of that, their resin bottle are not opaque, which allows light goes through. It doesn't make sense at all for storage.

Their timeline is unrealistic, now they bust 10 time their initial goal. This is highly another makibox,cobblebot failure.

Student

Polarization does not help

Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    They are using some sort of polarization method to "straighten" the path of the light from the camera's screen.
    Polarization cannot "straighten" the light path. Light from an LCD display is already polarized that is an integral part of how LCD screens work. If the phone was an OLED screen like most of the newer ones polarization would have the effect of cutting light output by over 50%. Not helpful for curing or focusing the light. Based on what they are showing in the promo video it looks like magic.

Engineer
    Also for that small printing that last nearly 4 hours is way overkill, even for standard SLA would be able to get it done in 1 hour. I am skeptical, but will wait after their sucessfull campaign till the end.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well no reason a cheapo chinese android phone can't be used. Probably cost you $50ish
    http://www.amazon.com/GT-T9500-Andro...ap+smartphones

The actual printing app won't take much processing. Long as you produce the gcode on soemthing else.

have to admit, watching the cutaway video I'm quite impressed.

Long as they've got a way to clean up the resin, it's a great idea.

So what are they going to sell the resin for ?
    I'm guessing it'll cost a lot more than the printer :-)

As far as the length of time to print goes. You're comparing a $1500-$3000 machine with something that cost $100.
    So it takes 4x longer - it cost 15x less. Speed per dollar I make that almost 4x faster ;-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-28-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Student
    Follow tegregg On Twitter
    Check out a couple of you tube reviews on this from Makers Muze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9WhQ7cC2fg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5cIx9z5-I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast