Close

Engineer-in-Training

How to design parts for model cars?

How do I design parts for model cars using AutoCAD and 3DS Max? I tried to search the Internet for drawings of car parts with some dimensions but it's like trying to find a needle in haystack. For example, how long is a starter motor?

I'm not sure what you mean. An electric motor is a combination of very simple shapes : cylinders and cubes. An usually you can find the dimensions on resellers websites.

I don't know autocad but I don't think that designing a cylinder is that complex.

On autocad you can probably use a picture on the background when you design and you can resize it to scale. So having the general shape should not be a problem.

So what is the issue really ?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    how long is a starter motor.

Go to a scrap yard and measure one.

Then work out how big you want to make the model. say it's 1:20th scale
    Divide the sizes for the real motor by 20.

It's pretty much just common sense and basic arithmetic.

Oh and doing it yourself :-)

Senior Engineer
    It also very much depends on what car too, they vary enormously.

EG:
    An old mini starter is about 14 inches long including the bendix and is around 5 inches diameter.
    A Merc C class starter is about 9 inches long and just under 3 inches diameter.

Two random examples out of a possible 2 or 3 thousand possible models.

Engineer-in-Training
    I'm in the process of 3D-printing and building a Toyota 4WD pickup truck or SUV. Eric didn't create the frame, front axle, and steering gear. The hardest part to be created could be the CV joints for front axle. Real CV joints have six balls trapped in a cage. CV joints for radio-controlled cars usually have two pins.

Senior Engineer
    Radio controlled drive shafts use hardyspicer joints not CV. They most certainly do not have constant velocity as they rotate.

In the UK they are known as Hardyspicer, in Greece they call them cross joints. What do they call them elsewhere like the states or aus?

Engineer-in-Training
    cv-joint.jpg

Here is the "CV" joint used for RC cars that I created in AutoCAD for front axle. It uses 3mm shafts and 623zz bearings. How do I insert images into messages on Thinkiverse website?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    cv-joint.jpg

Here is the "CV" joint used for RC cars that I created in AutoCAD for front axle. It uses 3mm shafts and 623zz bearings. How do I insert images into messages on Thinkiverse website?
    You upload them like a model.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com