Close

Aether 1 is a 3D Printer, Bioprinter, CNC Machine, Laser Cutter & More

There are a few multi-functional 3D printers on the market, but a new printer, to be released in the second half of 2016, will likely put all of them to shame. The Aether 1 is a bioprinter, food printer, standard 3D printer, CNC machine, electronics printer, laser cutter and more - it can even robotically paint, write and do calligraphy. For a machine that does everything, the Aether 1 is reasonably priced at around $9,000, and Aether will be donating several beta models to schools, chefs and artists in May. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/125290/aether-1-multi-printer/

Staff Engineer
    It may be able to do a lot, but with those long unsupported rods it won't be a very effective CNC mill. People seem to think that all they need to do is to put a spindle on their 3D printer to turn it into a mill, but that's not the case - rotary cutting operations cause a lot of vibration, which if the machine isn't rigid, will cause the cutting head to bounce around instead of cutting smoothly. The harder the material being cut, the more rigid it needs to be. This machine might be able to cut cake - anything tougher, not so much...

Andrew Werby

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Aether 1 is over 10 years ahead of what other companies are developing,
    really - it can't do anything the hyrel can't do :-)

Staff Engineer
    I'm gonna second CA's sentiment, Aside from some mechanical specifics, the Aether1 is almost the same as the Hyrel System line of printers. The main difference is that the Hyrel SDS heads are direct-drive and the Aether's are pneumatically driven.

Pneumatically driving a syringe leads to very spongy motion, making it practically impossible to prime and un-prime the head accurately. I notice they don't have any videos of it printing or pictures of syringe printed items from it (or any printed items from it for that matter).

Also, claiming that a bike chain driven gantry has a 4 nanometer precision is just hilarious.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    really - it can't do anything the hyrel can't do :-)
    Plus one on that... and Hyrel does it at half the cost.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I don't work for hyrel :-)
    those other two do ;-)
    Just saying lol

this hyrel intrigues me whats the price point?