Close

Can 3D Printed Gears Measure Up?

When it comes to hobbyist creations, gears are usually a part of the equation for many mechanical devices—from racecars to clocks, puzzles, and more. The question is, how do 3D printed gears hold up? And the answer is: it depends. While they may not ever be able to hold up in terms of strength to traditional metal gears, with the proper printer, materials, and know-how, you can make some amazing 3D printed gears that will blow everyone away, as well as offering durability and surprisingly high performance. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/125143/3d-printed-gears-pass-muster/

Student
    I've been printing spur gears with Taulman Alloy 910. The resulting gears are incredibly strong and durable. They could easily be used for medium duty production mechanisms. If you're printing gears, I highly recommend it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    how are you printing that stuff ?

I found it almost impossible to use.

And as far as the 'article' goes.
    No information on gears. The entire thing boils down to: 'you can make gears and if you make them right they'll probably work'.
    Talk about a 10 minute piece knocked off by someone with bugger all knowlege on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    While they may not ever be able to hold up in terms of strength to traditional metal gears
    Actually it's more like "NEVER". You can do plastic gears. Yes. They're dirt cheap. Yes. They may work in short-lived low effort, low speed applications. Yes.
    If you intend anything else... well, don't.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    again depends on the material and usage.