Close

Consumer printers with larger print areas

Hey all,

Does anyone have a running list of printers that have larger printing capabilities? Or does anyone have feedback on any available? Looking in the $4,000-$5,000 range. Right now I have an all-in-one CNC/3d printer, etc, but finding that 90% of what I do is print, and thinking I might be better off without a purpose-build printer that doesn't have some of the limitations I'm running into.

Would be printing things for my automotive project, like brackets, gauge clusters, etc.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    What limitations are you running in to with your present printer/CNC?

A few are:

The manufacturers heated bed is about 200mmx200mm.
    The CNC bed is a t-slot table, so having a hard time finding suitable printing surfaces that are flat/plane
    The lead from the 3d print unit is only long enough to cover an 8x8'ish area, despite the machine bed being 3ftx2ft
    The machine is not enclosed. It's in a temp control garage, but not sure if not having an enclosed unit leads to worse prints. I suppose that's an open question I have.

90% of my use on the machine has been 3d printing, so I guess I'm just thinking that if all I am using this thing for is 3d printing, would I be better off with a purpose-made 3d printer, as opposed to trying to make the Stepcraft work. Nothing against the machine, seems to be a good all-around unit, but I think it's main purpose was wood engraving/carving, and I just don't any of that.
    Last edited by siggyfreud; 03-19-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    All I can offer is that an enclosure never hurts, and often helps - especially if you heat it.

Our next Hyrel models will have large build volumes, but won't be out for another month or two.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    have you thought about simply fittign alonger lead to the print head ?
    sounds like the cheap and obvious solution.