Close

3D Printing Yourself

Hello,

I want to get into 3D printing, and want to 3D print a model of myself. I have looked up ways that you can do it using a Kinect and a 3D modeling program named Skanect. i was wondering what sort of 3D printer I would need to print out a good looking model, that looks good, without all of the big horizontal lines like I see on some 3D printed things. The name or the link to these printers would be appreciated

Thanks

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Triplevvv View Post
    Hello,

I want to get into 3D printing, and want to 3D print a model of myself. I have looked up ways that you can do it using a Kinect and a 3D modeling program named Skanect. i was wondering what sort of 3D printer I would need to print out a good looking model, that looks good, without all of the big horizontal lines like I see on some 3D printed things. The name or the link to these printers would be appreciated

Thanks
    If you don't want visible lines in your print, you really will need to go for an resin based printer.

As for how to do it all, the first thing I would do is go here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+3d+scan+with+a+kinect
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Thanks,

If I wanted to use an FDM printer, what layer thickness would it have to be to look "Good" or pretty precise?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    depends how large you want the model to be.

Personally I don't think most people would notice lines in a 0.2mm print.
    I print most things at 0.3mm

But I'm not a fussy bugger ;-)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    depends how large you want the model to be.

Personally I don't think most people would notice lines in a 0.2mm print.
    I print most things at 0.3mm

But I'm not a fussy bugger ;-)
    I can do 0.3 on my flashforge and it looks great - but if I do it on the CTC.. same machine really.. it looks awful! (I get those big banding lines like the Davinci printer you know?) yet the CTC at 0.15 is amazing... it has a wonky Z stepper or threaded rod measurement ... or something...

I got to just sticking with 0.3 for times sake really, if im going to sand and paint it, meh.. im not fussy either

If I wanted to use an FDM printer, what layer thickness would it have to be to look "Good" or pretty precise?
    @Triplevvv It depends on the material you print in. eg. I can print in wood at 0.1mm and you cannot see the lines at all - as in completely invisible - but printing in 0.1 in ABS requires alot of heat in the chamber so it doesn't curl up, and if you print in PLA at 0.1 you need pretty awesome cooling fans, otherwise you will be printing at 0.2mm usually or 0.15-0.16 for the finest detail.

Some materials like natural PLA also has a really good ability to melt the lines as it prints, they are pretty much invisible.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I can do 0.3 on my flashforge and it looks great - but if I do it on the CTC.. same machine really.. it looks awful! (I get those big banding lines like the Davinci printer you know?) yet the CTC at 0.15 is amazing... it has a wonky Z stepper or threaded rod measurement ... or something...

I got to just sticking with 0.3 for times sake really, if im going to sand and paint it, meh.. im not fussy either

@Triplevvv It depends on the material you print in. eg. I can print in wood at 0.1mm and you cannot see the lines at all - as in completely invisible - but printing in 0.1 in ABS requires alot of heat in the chamber so it doesn't curl up, and if you print in PLA at 0.1 you need pretty awesome cooling fans, otherwise you will be printing at 0.2mm usually or 0.15-0.16 for the finest detail.

Some materials like natural PLA also has a really good ability to melt the lines as it prints, they are pretty much invisible.
    hey geoff, i was looking at the ctc 4 in 1 any info you can give is it a good printer ?