Close

If you could print in Metal, what would you print?

Let's just say that at home 3D printers were available that could print in metal (most types of metal). What is it that you would print, and why?

I would probably make some metal iphone cases. You never see these, but they could be quite awesome, and could really protect the phone body.

It would depend completely on the resolution, the cost, max volume, etc., but I'd probly try alot of the same things that I print in resin. The Eifel Tower, some throwing stars, QR code rings... There's some things that I'd really like to make like a custom PC tower but it would be a pretty big task to model something like that first!

A cnc lathe and mill

Seriously I would start by printing any non metal parts of my printer.

I'd print fittings for really old cars, like door handles and knobs. Those car restorers will pay anything to get rare spares.

OME

Staff Engineer
    Jewelry would be a good place to start. It seems that there are things that 3D-printed metal could do that would be difficult or impossible to do any other way, and it would be interesting to explore those possibilities.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Personally I wouldn't have all that much to print, but I can only imagine how many custom car parts would be designed and printed out. It would be a revolution for customization of cars.

Technologist
    would definitely start experimenting with 3D printed jewelry

jewelry and automobile parts are what will be the most printed items once metal 3D printing becomes popular.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Well... I mean, I don't really do much designing myself as of now that would see the use of metal...

I guess I could make my airsoft and handbow bolt designs in aluminum or something...