Close

Thread: Tight is right!

Tight is right!

Since the MakerFarm structure is held together with nuts and bolts, there is a tendency for some to come loose because of the vibration that occurs during printing. Before starting your day's printing, do some preventative maintenance by checking that all the nuts are tight. It's not a bad idea to lubricate your slide rods with light machine oil (sewing machine oil is great) and put a small dollop of grease on the extruder gears. BE CAREFUL not to be over enthusiastic with the oil and grease, and don't let it accumulate.

Also, I noticed that my Z-axis endstop switch, which is held in place by a nylon tie, is moving a little. It does not take much movement here to throw out the calibration of the Z = 0 point. What I am going to do is secure the endstop switch with two nuts and bolts. The hole size is 3/32" (a little over 2mm). I can't see the need to fix the X and Y axis endstops the same way as they don't take the bashing that the Z endstop does. However, if you can only buy the nuts and bolts in packs, why not use them?

Old Man Emu

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Since the MakerFarm structure is held together with nuts and bolts, there is a tendency for some to come loose because of the vibration that occurs during printing. Before starting your day's printing, do some preventative maintenance by checking that all the nuts are tight.
    Or break out the loctite blue and prevent those nuts from loosening.

Quote Originally Posted by Compro01 View Post
    Or break out the loctite blue and prevent those nuts from loosening.
    Icy cold water will keep your nuts tight, too

OME