Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Staff Engineer
    The peachy printer doesn't move the build plate, if my understanding is correct. The saline level is increased as the print continues. There must also be some method to dispense an accurate amount of resin to compensate for the resin used and the desired layer thickness.

I agree about the uncertainty involved in the method. I believe it counts drops of saline that pass through a set of electrical contacts. I recognize that one can have accurate measurement to very high tolerances with drops, but I suspect that conditions have to be very carefully controlled to accomplish that. Evaporation, saline concentration, temperature, the relative humidity of the surroundings, all these are likely to be important. How important, only time will tell. My neighbor has contributed to the Kickstarter campaign, and I'm certain to learn when/if he receives his printer

Well, I was thinking about still doing a bottom up approach with this. However, I think it needs something to control thickness in some patents they use a "wettable membrane" That's probably something that holds the more dense fluid in place. As when I put it on pdms it doesn't spread and cover evenly across the surface area.
    Last edited by chooch; 03-30-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Student
    I can confirm that Barnes Breakable Glass silicon is a perfect alternative to Sylgard / PDMS

I printed this last night... no issues.

IMG_0867.jpg

Technologist
    Where did you pick up the Barnes Breakable Glass? are you down under or did you fork over the $$$ for shipping or did you find a local supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
    I can confirm that Barnes Breakable Glass silicon is a perfect alternative to Sylgard / PDMS

I printed this last night... no issues.
    Hey Paul, glad to see you on here. I'd be interested to see how resistant the Barnes material is to ghosting. If it is better than PDMS, I may have to give it a shot.
    Last edited by chooch; 03-30-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Staff Engineer
    I'm not sure to whom you are asking about the Barnes Breakable Glass, but I ordered mine from Aldax in the land down under, 4 kg to have a huge reserve, and paid the US$$$$ to have it shipped. Conveniently, the US$ is a bit more valuable than the AU$ by a fair amount.

From what I've been reading, cooch, there are some B9C users who have had no clarity problems over three weeks of daily use. That alone is worthwhile, but they also report that each layer releases far more easily than PDMS.

Student
    sorry I've been off the board for ages.

I find the barnes stuff still fogs, but re-coating isnt a big deal, it's easy to mix, and I just let it set over night.

I'd say the B9 guys get less fogging for 2 reasons, one possibly that an SLA laser degrades silicone faster, but also, the B9 has a small build volume, most guys I know using them are only printing small stuff, so less layers, less foggging

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    I'm not sure to whom you are asking about the Barnes Breakable Glass, but I ordered mine from Aldax in the land down under, 4 kg to have a huge reserve, and paid the US$$$$ to have it shipped. Conveniently, the US$ is a bit more valuable than the AU$ by a fair amount.

From what I've been reading, cooch, there are some B9C users who have had no clarity problems over three weeks of daily use. That alone is worthwhile, but they also report that each layer releases far more easily than PDMS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123