Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In 3dsmax, voronoi tessellation it's literally just one or two steps. In Blender, it's a little more tricky. Rhino you need a plugin called Grasshopper, and some mathematical knowledge. So I think it just depends on the application.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    given the cost of 3dsmax - you might be better of spending 3 hours working through the process in meshmixer :-)

Smile first picture

[QUOTE=jjb;82375]Hi all.
    I am very new to 3d printing but am very eager to make a few things.
    I have only been playing around with TinkerCad.

What types of program do I need to make a mold like this?
    https://img1.etsystatic.com/020/0/81...05703_8xcg.jpg

The exact and easy to use (once you get over its quirks) program to make molds like in the first picture is a freeware called eXtrudy.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I use Blender for printing Vertex conversions, which is your second picture.

I remove all faces from the model and keep all edges. I extrude all the edges in one hit, usually in the up/down direction depending on the model, sometimes some manual work needed to extrude more of the edges. I then literally hold ALT, right click the edge loop, press F for fill and repeat that around the model. There is probably an automated process but it takes me about 10 minutes to strip a low poly model back to it's frame work and then solidify the framework. There are programs that do the so-overdone "voronoi" pattern with holes all through it, but it's been done so many times and running a script on a 3D model and saying "look what I did ma!" isn't really something to be proud of. Doing it yourself is the best way I will always say.

The tricky part is making sure the geometry doesn't exceed a certain degree, ideally no more than 40' so you can print without support. Removing support from geometric prints is a pain in the butt, it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    given the cost of 3dsmax - you might be better of spending 3 hours working through the process in meshmixer :-)
    Aint that the truth... I refuse to buy Adobe, they charge Australians nearly 3 x the price. Why? our location.

We're downloading it.. not posting a 2kg package of manuals... why charge so much more for another country? I can use a VPN and buy it off them for the U.S price... but I prefer not to at all when they practice such cruddy business tactics. My money they will not get.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    which adobe program you thinking of ?

Student
    Add Manubim on Facebook
    You can use Fusion 360 as well for 3D modelling. It has a Voronoi Sketch Generator app.

Staff Engineer
    Don't bother learning how to use the 123D apps; Autodesk discontinued them some time back, and since they were cloud-based, they no longer will work. I guess TinkerCAD is still functioning, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12