Close

Engineer-in-Training

A couple of newbie questions

My dripper system is working nicely and I'm just calibrating it ready for my first print. I want to get the calibration smack on, just to see how far I can get with dimensional accuracy.

A couple of questions occurred to me and it also occurred to me that other newbies might ask the same:-

1) how thick should I make the resin layer ?
    2) what's the formula for the saline ?
    3) How do I separate the resin and saline at the end?

I am sure these are answered somewhere, so Just point me at the links, if anyone can ??

Peachy Printer Founder
    no problem, here you go:

http://peachyprinter.ipbhost.com/ind...e-resin-layer/
    http://peachyprinter.ipbhost.com/ind...-to-the-water/
    http://peachyprinter.ipbhost.com/ind...in-management/
    although typically we don't separate our resin, we just leave it there for the next print.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    no problem, here you go:

http://peachyprinter.ipbhost.com/ind...e-resin-layer/
    http://peachyprinter.ipbhost.com/ind...-to-the-water/
    http://peachyprinter.ipbhost.com/ind...in-management/
    although typically we don't separate our resin, we just leave it there for the next print.
    Rylan

thanks for your prompt reply

mike

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
    Rylan

thanks for your prompt reply

mike
    Just done my first print..... sadly I had the resin too high above the platform and it didn't attach properly.... so I ended up with an hexagonal shaped floating platform. The printer is doing all the right things.... it's just technique from her on in. I'll keep practising.

I must say that the software is a good effort. I love the graphical representation of the drips when you are printing.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
    Just done my first print..... sadly I had the resin too high above the platform and it didn't attach properly.... so I ended up with an hexagonal shaped floating platform. The printer is doing all the right things.... it's just technique from her on in. I'll keep practising.

I must say that the software is a good effort. I love the graphical representation of the drips when you are printing.
    ahh yes, i recomend you start your prints with the resin just touching the bottom of the mesh that way it will attach very strongly.
    Ya we have tried to build in as much real time feedback as possible in the software, it makes it fun to use and quick to solve problems.

Engineer-in-Training
    ahh yes, i recomend you start your prints with the resin just touching the bottom of the mesh that way it will attach very strongly.
    Ya we have tried to build in as much real time feedback as possible in the software, it makes it fun to use and quick to solve problems.
    I have quite a nice spiral vase (quite smooth), which using your advice, stuck to the grid well. It is roughly half the dimensions I dialled up when I selected the example print? So I guess these are not absolute dimensions but relative to each individual setup calibration.

I have quite a few plans already. I have ordered a peristaltic pump so that when a print is finished, I push a button and the saline is pumped back up to the bubbler tank. Also have plans to alter the dripper to gravity feed (with restrictor valve) rather than syphonic feed etc etc

Also need to experiment to get absolute dimensions.

Peachy Printer Founder
    cool can you post a pic of the Vase? Id love to see it..
    The dimentions shoud be absolute, They are often out by a 10 percent or so, but not 50 percent. The x and y dimentions that the laser moves in would become much smaller if you started your print with the print Base up Higher. The Height dimension that the resin moves needs tuning often , if your print is half as tall as it should be try doubling your drips Per mm.

A peristaltic pump will be a very nice addition , If you have an arduino controlling it and rotation sensor on the pump, then the pump can replace the dripper as well.

Engineer-in-Training
    cool can you post a pic of the Vase? Id love to see it..
    The dimentions shoud be absolute, They are often out by a 10 percent or so, but not 50 percent. The x and y dimentions that the laser moves in would become much smaller if you started your print with the print Base up Higher. The Height dimension that the resin moves needs tuning often , if your print is half as tall as it should be try doubling your drips Per mm.

A peristaltic pump will be a very nice addition , If you have an arduino controlling it and rotation sensor on the pump, then the pump can replace the dripper as well.
    Here is the PIC of my vase. You are right..... I think the drip calibration is not correct...... so I am sure it is just a calibration issue.peachy.jpg

The marks in the base of the vase are where it was attached to the base grid.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Thanks for posting that pic! I am actually amazed that people are getting prints this good there first or second try with the printer Great work!!
    I was thinking there would be far more problems. So many parts of the printer are not well documented yet, You guys who are receiving these early printers are troopers for getting them to work.
    Soon we will release an arduino library specifically meant for those of you that have great ideas on how to improve your printer.