Close

Student

Full and accurate colors 3D Printers

So far there is no color 3d printer that can print accrutaely and consistently any color design. (color is printed today is far from be accruate)
    Such printer exist only in the 2d world.
    Does anyone here see a real need for such a printer in the 3d world ?
    I would be glad for ideas for which applications and products such 3d printer is needed.
    (2d Accurate colors is needed for example for printing logos , proffesional magazines,...)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli100 View Post
    So far there is no color 3d printer that can print accrutaely and consistently any color design. (color is printed today is far from be accruate)
    Such printer exist only in the 2d world.
    Does anyone here see a real need for such a printer in the 3d world ?
    I would be glad for ideas for which applications and products such 3d printer is needed.
    (2d Accurate colors is needed for example for printing logos , proffesional magazines,...)
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=b...lADQ4Q_AUIBigB

Shapeways gets pretty close!
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

I just got followed by this company called lunavast printers on Twitter. They make a DIY printer kit that supposedly combines 2d inkjet printing with 3D FDM printing. From what I read, they have two method of printing, but essentially what is does its lay down a layer of filament, and then goes back over the gcode steps for that layer and then prints cmyk color ink on the layer.

I I am not sure what the results would look like as I would imagine that it could either be a messy proposition or lead to low resolution color prints due to color ink simply being laid on top of the extruded filament.

Lunavast.jp is their website if you're interested in looking. The site is in English. I should note that I am in no way affiliated with them.

Staff Engineer
    I looked at that site. They don't show any examples of anything they've made with their device, and from what they say about it, it doesn't sound like they're selling a complete machine that's ready to work. I have my doubts about how well any inkjet ink would adhere to the plastics used for FFF printing; maybe the "Hard coating fluid" they sell is supposed to keep it from coming off. Here's what they say on their site:

"Lunavast CrafteHbot has mechanism of fused deposition manufacturing (FDM) 3D Printer with hacked inkjet color 2D printer, which full-color prints to external surface of a 3D printed object.

CrafteHbot is a FDM 3D Printer Kit. After 3D Printing, its color inkjet 2D printer will full-color prints to the 3d printed object by rotating it so the surface of object can be color printed from different angles. Lunavast calls this printing method as "Direct to Object" technology, which enables full color 3D printing. This technology is currently patent pending.

Since the kit does not include inkjet printer, users need to source a specified secondhand inkjet printer or purchase separately on the online store of Lunavast.Then, hack it to mount on the 3D Printer.

As the ink spraying distance of the inkjet printer is just within 10mm, in case the 3D printed objects have too complecated shape, they must be divided to several pieces so that the entire surface can be painted. Then, the all pieces can be assembled."

Yeah, while i give them credit for trying, its hard to imagine that it will lead to anything other than erratic results. Who knows, maybe ill be surprised.