Close

Question Tangled mess of filament

Since yesterday my M3D printer using their filament has been making nothing but a mess! The filament starts off sticking to the bed but then begins to come out in fine spirals and doesn't stick to itself. I am using PLA at the recommended temperature: 215 for my red and 210 for white pearl. Prior to yesterday this seldom happened unless the filament bound on the roll (a totally different issue.) I am not sure how to disassemble the nozzle to see if there is something clogging it. I may check You Tube to see if there is anything showing how to do that. Meanwhile I am not sure if I should try increasing the temperature slightly or if there is a problem with the nozzle itself. I just made my first design and am very eager to see if it works. Very frustrated! BTW the black piece at the front is just a tape tab I attached to make it easier to lift the bed to clean it. I have buildTak and use Elmers glue stick and the initial lines seem to stick to the bed.

IMG_1269.JPG

I may have solved my problem. When I carefully looked at everything and watched the printhead moving it seems like one half of the printer was not working properly and of course the rest of the crew. I examined the bed for level mess it up. One side was slightly lower than the other. I took everything apart and cleaned the nozzle, Took the print bed bath and cleaned the build tack. In fact I took the tag off and put an entirely new sheet on it and replace the bed. Still not working properly so I took the bed off again to see if there was anything causing the unevenness. Apparently I had put the plate in words and it of course did not seat properly. When I discovered the proper way to insert it it also solve the problem of why I could not lift the print bed easily. My advice to anyone else having a similar problem is to examine everything that is going on very carefully. I am now running a print that's at least started out looking good and I am crossing my fingers.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    I hope you managed to fix it. Sounds like you've not left many stones untouched so I am sure you have fixed it.

Incidentally, was it just the red filament it did this with?

It was doing it with white pearl as well and there had been problems previously with some prints but not anything this bad. If I had known how to remove and replace that base (didn't see info in the instructions) I might not have experienced this, but as with all failures, they can be good learning experiences. I think I do okay for a "little old lady" who likes to learn new things and love to play with new toys! Forums are a real life-saver with a wealth of information and people who share.