Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Technologist

Can't decide between Replicator 5th Gen, Ultimaker 2, and Robo3D R1

Hi everyone, I've been reading every article I can get my eyes on this past week, but I still can't decide which to go with. There's very little information about the Makerbot Replicator 5th Generation. It was the printer I was originally going to purchase, but after doing a bit more research it seems to be priced so much higher than its competition. This will be my first 3D printer, however, I want something that prints with exceptional quality (for the price). The Replicator is a bit pricey for one limited to PLA at 100microns. For $700-800 I could purchase the Robo3D with a larger platform, which also prints at 100microns.
    On the other hand, for about the same price, perhaps a couple hundred cheaper, I could go with the Ultimaker 2, which offers a larger platform and 20micron resolution. Of course, the quality of the prints from the Makerbot could be significantly better, I just don't know. I read the article from Make magazine comparing many of the new 3D printers for 2014... there was no mention of the 5th gen, but they did compare the Ultimaker 2 to the Replicator 2, and they gave top mention to the Replicator 2. I'd imagine that with the new Replicators auto-leveling it wold be even better.

I am just utterly and completely indecisive on this whole thing. I'd LOVE to be able to spend only $800 on a 3D printer!! But if quality and ease are going to be much better, I'm willing to spend the $3k.

I'm hoping to get some opinions and insight. Can anyone help me make this tough decision?

Well i would take the ultimaker 2 if you have the cash, Its a great printer all around, very silent and you wont have to bother with it when you have it that much,

Robo3D has some problems, Problems that can be solved! But they are still problems,
    Also i've heard that the stock hotend is pretty bad and you should replace it with another hotend asap.

So like i said, I personaly would go with the Ultimaker,
    The first or the second, thats up to you,
    If i could decide again, it would be a decision about money, If i had enough, i would take the ultimaker right away.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Well i would take the ultimaker 2 if you have the cash, Its a great printer all around, very silent and you wont have to bother with it when you have it that much,

Robo3D has some problems, Problems that can be solved! But they are still problems,
    Also i've heard that the stock hotend is pretty bad and you should replace it with another hotend asap.

So like i said, I personaly would go with the Ultimaker,
    The first or the second, thats up to you,
    If i could decide again, it would be a decision about money, If i had enough, i would take the ultimaker right away.
    I was impressed by its specs, definitely... is there a reason you'd take it over the new fifth gen Replicator, consider it would be the same cost? I ask because Make seems to believe the Rep 2 is superior to the Ultimaker 2, and since the new Replicator has auto-leveling, I figure that's a very big plus. Thanks, appreciate your input on this.

edit: I think it's also important to note the larger user base for the Makerbot. I just hate that it's so expensive when it's limited to filament type, lack of heat bed, and resolution. But again, could still produce better quality work, I just don't have experience here.

edit #2: Bummer, just realized the Ultimaker 2 uses 2.85-3mm filament... not that popular here in the U.S. Much easier to find 1.75mm, though if the quality is that much better with the UM2, I'd still be willing to go with it.
    Last edited by atoff; 03-02-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Engineer
    is there a reason you are stuck on only those 3 printers? there a ton of really great machines out there. to name a couple look at a makergear m2 or a zortrax

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    is there a reason you are stuck on only those 3 printers? there a ton of really great machines out there. to name a couple look at a makergear m2 or a zortrax
    Well, I had narrowed it down to those 3 based on reviews, youtube videos, and popularity (or hype). The Makerbot was a safe purchase for me, since it came with an option for a cheap 3-year Squaretrade warranty (from the reseller I was planning to purchase it from). I also really like the fact that it has guided leveling. It's suppose to be very simple, and I need that because I have a condition with my back where I'm unable to stand for very long (not more than about 5-minutes at a time), so the less tinkering I need to do, the better. I'm a bit hesitant in ordering from overseas for the lack of support / parts availability, but the Ultimaker had great reviews wherever I looked. Everything about it sounds great. The Robo 3D, well, it's not as impressive, but the price is just absurdly nice for its features. If I could get away with spending 1/4 the cost for something with just as good print quality, I'd be good.

Taking a look at some videos of the Zortrax in action, I'm very impressed! I think you just made my life a lot more difficult! lol I went through several Youtube videos, and the prints look fantastic. The build size is adequate, and I can go as low as 25 microns. Though, as I've heard, I know that layer resolution isn't everything. But, it looks like it'll support a large variety of filaments, and that I like! My only concern here is that it's international, and there isn't an auto-leveler.

I'll just have to see if I can get a separate Squaretrade warranty if purchasing internationally if I go with one of these others.

I hate how restricted the Makerbot is... I'm trying to convince myself that it's the way to go because of how large the user base is. Everyone's raving about them, and they're always being praised by reviewers, there has to be a reason for that... but the lack of options with filaments, and the resolution annoy me. It does have some other great features... there's just no examples yet, so I can't judge it too well... for all I know it's going to blow the rest of these printers out of the water with print quality.

I remain stuck.

I am going to be watching this thread VERY closely lol. I am in exactly the same position and was waiting to order a Replicator 5th gen within the week. I have a reprappro mono mendel at the moment and just want something more stable. I have just seen this and looked at the Zortrax too ! It looks awesome! I just feel the same .... Do I go for the makerbot just because there will be way more out there and likely more developement and support from users ?
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by atoff View Post
    Well, I had narrowed it down to those 3 based on reviews, youtube videos, and popularity (or hype). The Makerbot was a safe purchase for me, since it came with an option for a cheap 3-year Squaretrade warranty (from the reseller I was planning to purchase it from). I also really like the fact that it has guided leveling. It's suppose to be very simple, and I need that because I have a condition with my back where I'm unable to stand for very long (not more than about 5-minutes at a time), so the less tinkering I need to do, the better. I'm a bit hesitant in ordering from overseas for the lack of support / parts availability, but the Ultimaker had great reviews wherever I looked. Everything about it sounds great. The Robo 3D, well, it's not as impressive, but the price is just absurdly nice for its features. If I could get away with spending 1/4 the cost for something with just as good print quality, I'd be good.

Taking a look at some videos of the Zortrax in action, I'm very impressed! I think you just made my life a lot more difficult! lol I went through several Youtube videos, and the prints look fantastic. The build size is adequate, and I can go as low as 25 microns. Though, as I've heard, I know that layer resolution isn't everything. But, it looks like it'll support a large variety of filaments, and that I like! My only concern here is that it's international, and there isn't an auto-leveler.

I'll just have to see if I can get a separate Squaretrade warranty if purchasing internationally if I go with one of these others.

I hate how restricted the Makerbot is... I'm trying to convince myself that it's the way to go because of how large the user base is. Everyone's raving about them, and they're always being praised by reviewers, there has to be a reason for that... but the lack of options with filaments, and the resolution annoy me. It does have some other great features... there's just no examples yet, so I can't judge it too well... for all I know it's going to blow the rest of these printers out of the water with print quality.

I remain stuck.
    I would still take the Ultimaker realy,
    Its just better, as quality goes i think it will be better aswell,
    It has a heatbed, very silent, great slicer program etc,

You can check this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXnNmwFWXV0
    Also autoleveling isnt a big deal, Once you set it right with manualy you get the same thing.
    Last edited by DrLuigi; 03-03-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Technologist
    The UM does look great, no arguments there... I made a quick comparison chart, just so I can reference it when comparing. These are just the overall specs... now I'm down to these 3.

Also, I did see that video when researching the UM... It's unfortunate he received it with a broken fan, the quality didn't impress me, he should have done a review AFTER fixing the issue.

3DPChoices.jpg
    Last edited by atoff; 03-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Zotrax also seems like a great printer imo,

Only i hope it will also print PLA, else thats a bummer as ABS warps quiet easily.

i would say Ultimaker or Zotrax realy.

Kinda find it akward ultimaker only gives 3 months warranty, i thought netherland had a minimum of 1-2 years of warranty on all eletronics

But ye ive seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V0Lw0OUFx8
    And find it a nice printer, might be louder then the ultimaker 2 since thats very quiet but still, i bet zotrax isnt even that loud.

Technologist
    Yes, those 2 do seem to be winning the battle, the Makerbot, just seems to be lacking for that hefty price tag. Yeah, the Ultimaker warranty is kind of scary. I tried to find out if I could get a Squaretrade (third party) warranty for either the Ultimaker or Zotrax, but I wasn't given a clear answer. I called twice and spoke to two different people... the first told me that because the MFR is international they wouldn't be able to cover it, the second told me that it would be covered. I'll need to wait and speak to a supervisor to be certain.

Definitely about the PLA... if it doesn't print PLA then I'll have to pass. I'm also unsure about it's positional precision. 1.5 microns doesn't seem possible, especially for XY, so I'm going to assume it's completely false. I do like the price though. The filament size for the UM really bothers me though... being in the U.S, it's not very popular / abundant.

Nice video on the Zotrax, it does seem really loud though.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast