Close

Lego May Allow for 3D Printing of Customized Bricks

Lego's have been a staple of every toy chest for numerous decades. Why? Because they are able to adapt their business model to changes within the industry. Last month Lego was awarded a patent for 3D printing of blocks, which would allow consumers to customize their own Lego bricks.:

http://3dprint.com/1383/lego-awarded...nt-own-bricks/

Will they soon market this to consumer? What are your thoughts?

Student
    After reading the patent, sounds like Lego wants to spend alot of time trolling. That patent as it reads covers everything we are trying to do it with 3d printing in general. So to be awarded a patent like this like saying I want a penny for every click of a camera.

Engineer
    Steve you are probably right, however I do feel they will enter the 3D printing market sooner rather than later. Lego has a knack for adopting new technologies, and staying ahead of the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoSteve View Post
    After reading the patent, sounds like Lego wants to spend alot of time trolling. That patent as it reads covers everything we are trying to do it with 3d printing in general. So to be awarded a patent like this like saying I want a penny for every click of a camera.
    It does seem more likely that this is a pre-emptive patent than a pro-active one. My curiosity, is how to they plan on monetizing this so they can retain rights, when anyone can print whatever they want if they have a printer, material, and the ability to copy or create a template/3D creator file?

Now that I own a 3D printer (Lulzbot Mini), and have tried printing LEGO pieces, I find them to be very practical and useful.