Close

Thread: Legal Question

Legal Question

On many websites that host 3d models, you can set specific licenses for what you upload, such as non commercial use. Say there's a frog model with a no sell license. It would be illegal for me to sell it, obviously. But is it illegal to sell my 3d printers "time" and then the person decides they want the frog printed? I'm not technically selling the frog, but rather the material and time to make it. Any thoughts? (PS this isn't something I'm currently trying to do, just a random late night thought.)

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Interesting thought.

I guess if the customer came to you with the file and asked you to print it and you charge a fee for the plastic used (which also just happened to include labour fees etc) then I guess the owner of the initial file would have a difficult time proving that you used his design for commercial purposes.

However, we certainly don't recommend such an idea. You might still be liable and certainly wouldn't gain any favour for doing so!

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Hmmmm, sounds like a question surrounded by the current Thingiverse fiasco..

You can legally charge for labor in whatever form you want. It's your time, your skills, your work. Labor is a very common thing to bill in the US.

Staff Engineer
    If you use your machinery and labor to do something illegal, you're a criminal, whether or not it was your idea to commit the crime in the first place. They should teach basic law in elementary school, so people wouldn't have to learn this stuff in prison...

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com