Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Sadly they are selling my models . I don't mind so much but the memorial Spock print I made, they are selling for $120U.S.

I made something as a show of my appreciation..

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1356680

I'd say more but I've been involved in this for a couple weeks, and after the past week, it's all been pretty exhausting.

My take is that this company is basically only doing all this to have thier name instantly gain traction. Regardless of what the post is about, people are talking about them, which I think is exactly what they wanted.
    I think that is it and it could be they are trying to bring all of this to the forefront because nothing you put up on the net is safe regardless.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Well, Makerbot are mounting the legal case apparently now, Ebay is getting through the VERO reports and removing pages from their Ebay page, so it looks like things are in motion.

I think it's all a bit of a beat up now. It's worked out well for Loubie tho, i'm sure she's had an increase in sales to cheer her up

The things they are selling on Ebay are all such stupid prices, no one will ever buy them (plastic container for $300? ) I think they cost 50 cents at the dollar store... and they are actually food safe and watertight..

No, It's all a big hoo-ha that will be over as fast as it began.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Well, Makerbot are mounting the legal case apparently now, Ebay is getting through the VERO reports and removing pages from their Ebay page, so it looks like things are in motion.

I think it's all a bit of a beat up now. It's worked out well for Loubie tho, i'm sure she's had an increase in sales to cheer her up

The things they are selling on Ebay are all such stupid prices, no one will ever buy them (plastic container for $300? ) I think they cost 50 cents at the dollar store... and they are actually food safe and watertight..

No, It's all a big hoo-ha that will be over as fast as it began.
    The stupidly high prices is why I think these guys are trying to get laws changed, or at least looked at, since IP laws are very archaic to say the least. How does one protect IP when the actual item is up on the net for everyone to run one off? So, I am interested to see how this is handled but Makerbot needs to crush these guys VERY publicly to make them an example or more will come, a whole lot more, just like them.

I think that this does bring up some interesting issues within the 3d printing industry. As people and those making prints are getting good enough quality and designs to begin selling to consumers, it would appear that the issues of copywriting haven't exactly been worked out. When journalism sites try to pass of someone else's articles or writings as their own, there are enough appropriate measures in place to deter this sort of behavior. The same goes with logo work. If you attempt to use someone else's logo as your own, there are systems in place to help mitigate the risk and deter others from attempting the same in the future. Hosts can issue takedown requests and what not. How are these things handled in regards to 3d printing.

It may even be that it is a matter of awareness for hosts, search engines, online shopping stores, etc... that 3d printing files can just as easily be stolen, printed, and sold as a logo or someone else's article. While it sucks that someone is doing this right now, it could end up being a good thing in the long run. Heck, there is already some other website that is offering ways of protecting an individuals 3d print creations.

Unfortunately a real product license and trademark costs money and unless you are paying that fee and registering it with the government, The supposed license that thingerverse is giving you is not abiding and won't hold up in court. That's just the way of it. So unless you are willing to go to the trademark commission to file a trademark, or the patent office to patent the stl file. You're all shit out of luck. And then the seller will just switch and say he is not selling your items he's selling his time and the filiment used to make the item. Stop posting to thingiverse if you don't want your items used it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness1187 View Post
    Unfortunately a real product license and trademark costs money and unless you are paying that fee and registering it with the government, The supposed license that thingerverse is giving you is not abiding and won't hold up in court. That's just the way of it. So unless you are willing to go to the trademark commission to file a trademark, or the patent office to patent the stl file. You're all shit out of luck. And then the seller will just switch and say he is not selling your items he's selling his time and the filiment used to make the item. Stop posting to thingiverse if you don't want your items used it's that simple.
    Are you daft, or just into Necromancy? You are replying to posts from 5 years ago (about a month shy for the last one) and I, for one, don't post my work on Thingiverse for a long while now as I despise what they did with it, but not because I fear for stls. Considering this is your first, and only, post must be because you are a Necromancer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12