Close

Y Axis Drifting???

SO I have printed a cube, a drip tip for a personal vaporizer, a hollow cube, and the other print I shared earlier in my other thread, which was perfect until the overhangs.

This is the Filament Tube mount for the back of the printer. As you can see in the pictures, its shifting the y axis every new layer. Doesn't seem to be any binding and the belts are nice and tight.

Any ideas guys? I didnt post printing specs as I figured that temp and layer height and all that would have nothing to do with the whole print job shifting every layer.

DIMG_9275.jpg

Engineer-in-Training
    What speed are you printing at? It could be that the y-axis stepper motor is skipping steps when doing a reverse. Try halving the speed and see if it persists. If solved, you can try to increase the current on the y-axis stepper (just google it) by adjusting the pot and/or modify your slicer settings.

Are you talking about the Feedrate, or Travel Feedrate? Mine was set at 8 and 100 respectively for this print. Whats interesting is Im looking at the FFCP manual and for PLA it says to use a feedrate of 100 and travelfeedrate of 120. If speed being too high is the issue, then the manual is way off.

D

Looks like slowing down the print speed worked. Its about 65% and perfect! But it is taking around 8 hours to print.

Engineer-in-Training
    Then the stepper was skipping steps. You might try upping the speed in steps to find out where the critical point is. The stepper must decelerate and accelerate a moving mass. As it has a maximum amount of force it can apply, if the speed is too high it just can't keep up.

And yes, you will find that patience is the most influential parameter in getting good quality prints

(...and waiting 8 hours for a print that succeeds first time is less time than failing mulitple several hour prints to find the bleeding edge of what your printer can handle)