Close

Banned

ABL servo robbing power, resetting ramps?

Hey Roxy, I recently encountered a problem with one of my machines.

During a print, the servo would move, one print it actually extended and smashed into the printed part and damaged the servo horn.

I replaced the servo, and re-calibrated all my firmware parameters for the new servo for ABL. I go auto home, and now when the servo extends itself, I notice the LCD display flicker, almost like the servo is robbing the board of power.

I can sense a slight delay in the machine when the servo is moving. After it homes, it executes the G29 ABL routine and then it abruptly resets itself before it even gets to the first probe point, due to the servo.

I replaced the ramps board, the 2560 and the servo extension leads, thinking this would have to solve the problem since I ruled everything out. It is still resetting the machine right when it begins to use the servo to probe.

I am not sure why the new servo is doing this or what else it could be? I did find a loose power connection to my ramps board from my 12V supply, but I tightened that down, that didnt even work either!!

What else is there?

The 3D Printer controller boards typically don't have a lot of extra power. Using the +5v of the controller board to power the servo has caused problems for a lot people. Usually, the answer is to put a 5 volt regulator on the server. Specifically... get a 7805. It is 3 pins. Connect the ground pin to ground. Connect the +5 volt output to the servo's power supply wire. And connect the input of the 7805 to a +12 volt line of your power supply. At that point, you won't be taking power from the controller board. The servo will have its own power and probably the problem goes away.

You are not the first person to have this problem!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    The 3D Printer controller boards typically don't have a lot of extra power. Using the +5v of the controller board to power the servo has caused problems for a lot people. Usually, the answer is to put a 5 volt regulator on the server. Specifically... get a 7805. It is 3 pins. Connect the ground pin to ground. Connect the +5 volt output to the servo's power supply wire. And connect the input of the 7805 to a +12 volt line of your power supply. At that point, you won't be taking power from the controller board. The servo will have its own power and probably the problem goes away.

You are not the first person to have this problem!

lol ok I am way ahead of you.

I just finished soldering in a BEC from one of my RC monster trucks (they use massive servos that pull 2-3 amps) and this BEC is now powering the ABL servo. Works like a charm.

Same concept, thank you!!!!