Close

Banned

Challenge: 3D Printer with 10X Speed - $7000 Reward

I thought this was interesting. There is a project posted on Innocentive which is looking for ideas on how to produce a 3D printer that is 10 times the speed of current models. The project is offering up to $7,000 for ideas:

The Seeker desires proposals for 3D printing with 10X the speed. The Seeker is particularly interested in disruptive innovations to dramatically increase the throughput of 3D printers.
    3D Printing is a rapidly growing industry with a high level of media attention. Projected to be a $10B industry by 2020, 3D Printing can further expand in its market penetration by achieving critical technology breakthroughs in materials and tool architectures. One key limitations of current technology is print speed. While the current 3D printing speeds may be adequate for prototyping, a disruptive innovation is needed to enable wider adoption of 3D printing for end-use parts in industrial applications.
    This is an Ideation Challenge with a guaranteed award for at least one submitted solution.
    Anyone have any good innovative ideas for such a printer?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Yeah. 10 heads.

I'm happy this is posted. I honestly think that this idea is worth far more than $7,000 though. If someone can manufacture a printer that can print 10 times as fast, they will be instant millionaires.

I agree. Such an idea is worth more than the $5000 top prize.

You can simply adjust the speed to 150mm (or whatever the max speed of the printer) and start from there. Would need a fast extruder for sure, and lots of cooling on the printed surface. Also some very light materials to replace metal parts, and maybe use some magnet levitation device for the moving parts (axes). And the printspeed should be lower on quick directional changes like corners, or the molten filament could be thrown out of the printer I can imagine that it's possible, someone should just seriously start experimenting. If i can do anything to help let me know!

I don't think FDM will ever be able to reach speeds that high. Perhaps SLA, but still I dont' think it would be possible to cure the liquid that fast. We will probably need some new sort of laser technology in order for this to happen. Perhaps an SLS method that uses some sort of futuristic laser technlogy to zap the entire object at once. Whoever can invent that will be worth billions, not $7,000.