Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    Designspark Mechanical is great for making 3D printing models but you can't save out as a solid model (though somebody with Spaceclaim can do this for you.) We have an apprentice here just starting on it for the project for his course.

It's a bit stripped down but most of the features are there.

The reason I like Spaceclaim for 3D scan data (I'm not a dealer) is that it is very visual. It's very different to most CAD packages and a lot easier to learn.

Have a try and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by davide445 View Post
    Giving cleaned mesh to CAD staff is normally enough to enable them to reproduce the original design?
    Or this approach does have little consulting value and we need to invest for a real solid modeling tool and skills?
    What do you intend to do with it ?

If it's just to make a replica for a static display, go ahead (though there are less expensive ways to go). If you intend it to be a usable component... don't put your hopes up too much. I had such a request for a turbine 1st stage : I refused as there was no way for me to ensure proper balancing, tolerances to the casing... For an external water propeller you won't have as much issues probably but you have to be reaslistic as to what this allows you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JSenior View Post
    Designspark Mechanical is great for making 3D printing models but you can't save out as a solid model (though somebody with Spaceclaim can do this for you.) We have an apprentice here just starting on it for the project for his course.

It's a bit stripped down but most of the features are there.

The reason I like Spaceclaim for 3D scan data (I'm not a dealer) is that it is very visual. It's very different to most CAD packages and a lot easier to learn.

Have a try and see what you think.
    Downloaded and appear to be nice. Tried importing some example of DAVID scans in obj format and is working fine. Now just need to understand how to use this scans as a guide for modelling.

Regarding the creation of mesh from the point cloud, confirm DAVID 4 sw can create it, not sure how advanced is into generating clean and correct one. What can be a nice and cheap program to correct original meshes? Meshmixer? MeshLab? 3D-Coat?

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    What do you intend to do with it ?

If it's just to make a replica for a static display, go ahead (though there are less expensive ways to go). If you intend it to be a usable component... don't put your hopes up too much. I had such a request for a turbine 1st stage : I refused as there was no way for me to ensure proper balancing, tolerances to the casing... For an external water propeller you won't have as much issues probably but you have to be reaslistic as to what this allows you to do.
    This is just a first request and we still need to receive the scanner, so we need to qualify the request itself.
    Do you refuse to manufacture/print the turbine stage or to scan it?

Geomagic Design X is probably what you are after. Not to be confused with Geomagic Design, which is an MCAD tool.

Technician
    I'd love to have Spaceclaim. Been using DesignSpark for a while now. Why do they have to make all these packages so damned expensive!

So our first work appear to be really the scan of a nautic propeller. Goal: reproduce the 3d CAD design since it's an old model and no 3d model is available, so to be able to produce it using metal printing.
    Discovered the company (part of a bigger one) does have an CATIA license and workstation available.
    Starting with no real modelling experience such as ours, CATIA REV tools will be really helping us or its a too steep path to start with? DesignSpark will be able to easier model a complex geometry such as a propeller just following the imported mesh?
    Last edited by davide445; 02-20-2016 at 12:56 PM.

So our first work appear to be really the scan of a nautic propeller. Goal: reproduce the 3d CAD design since it's an old model and no 3d model is available, so to be able to produce it using metal printing.
    Discovered the company (part of a bigger one) does have an CATIA license and workstation available.
    Starting with no real modelling experience such as ours, CATIA REV tools will be really helping us or its a too steep path to start with? DesignSpark will be able to easier model a complex geometry such as a propeller just following the imported mesh?
    Would prolly be easier to just design it scratch i.e. by measuring it (the other reverse engineering).

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    It really depends how simple the propeller is. Is it a single thickness? In the simplest method, you're effectively going to have to load in the scan and then model a 2D shape for the start and finish points (oversize the shape and orientation wants to be correct) and then draw guide curve splines from corner to corner. You then want to loft between them which I don't think you can do in DSPK (only Spaceclaim) - this should be simple in CATIA however, if you transfer the files after. You'll then want to draw around (in whichever program) the profile of the propeller, and cut this away from the solid you make. You can then model your boss, rotationally mirror the propeller around it, combine all and add in your rads as appropriate.

If it's not a single basic thickness this isn't necessarily the best way, but it depends on what they are wanting it for, and the tolerances required.

To Sebastian: 3D scanning would achieve far quicker and better results in this instance than any traditional method.

Quote Originally Posted by JSenior View Post
    It really depends how simple the propeller is. Is it a single thickness? In the simplest method, you're effectively going to have to load in the scan and then model a 2D shape for the start and finish points (oversize the shape and orientation wants to be correct) and then draw guide curve splines from corner to corner. You then want to loft between them which I don't think you can do in DSPK (only Spaceclaim) - this should be simple in CATIA however, if you transfer the files after. You'll then want to draw around (in whichever program) the profile of the propeller, and cut this away from the solid you make. You can then model your boss, rotationally mirror the propeller around it, combine all and add in your rads as appropriate.

If it's not a single basic thickness this isn't necessarily the best way, but it depends on what they are wanting it for, and the tolerances required.

To Sebastian: 3D scanning would achieve far quicker and better results in this instance than any traditional method.
    We will try using CATIA next days with some test files (we need to still receive the scanner).
    A bit scared to approach such a monster parametric solid modeller without any training nor experience in CAD modelling.
    Simply I can't find a cheap, easy and RE powered solution in the $1000 range.
    (Autodesk) Delcam PowerShape-e it's free with also RE features, but need to try how easy is to use.
    Rhino + some plugins is around $2000
    Can't find any info about the pricing of 3dreshaper Meteor, so maybe this is also an option.
    VRMesh Reverse it's in the $1200 range but appear to be more oriented in architectural reverse modelling.
    Also did find BricsCAD Pro and PunchCAD Shark LT less than $1000, again no idea about the usability, nor they have RE specific features AFAIK.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast