Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Given that fdm has hundreds of different materials and I can accurately reproduce models to within a few hundredths of a millimetre with a cheap replicator clone.

Neither of those points makes any sense.
    And that's without factoring in cured resin printing, sls, polyjet and metal printing.

I can't think of any disadvantages of a technology that puts the ability in a the hands of an individual that would previously have required an entire factory floor and a lot of people.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JillFranke View Post
    I think the disadvantage of 3d printing is there are limited materials and questionable accuracy.
    We have to keep it in perspective. I don't see that as a disadvantage. It's just what it is. We know that going in as with any tool, some do things that others don't. For instance, you can't say that the disadvantage of a screw driver is that it won't turn bolts. It's not meant to, that's what wrenches are for.

So in regards to 3d printing (and I'm assuming FDM printers here because commercial printers can use a ton of materials all the way up to metals) it does exactly what the technology allows it to. As a fast way to prototype objects, it has few disadvantages. Only a few years ago you had to pay a "model maker" 1000's of dollars to make prototype models out of plex, wood, putty, paint, etc.

I don't think there is any question to the accuracy I get with my Makerfarm printer. I know its limits and it hits those limits and is consistent from print to print to print.

It's all perspective. And when you talk about "disadvantages" you always have to assume "in comparison to what?" So in discussing the disadvantages of anything, you have to think about it that way. "In comparison to WHAT?" So yes, compared to dozens of other manufacturing processes, 3d printing is limited to the materials and precision that it has by design. You could say that injection molding has a disadvantage. It has to be injected into a metal or solid mold. That's a disadvantage, "in comparison to 3d printing."

I think the advantages and options that 3d printers off us as an alternate tool in our tool boxes far outweigh any disadvantages when compared to other manufacturing processes. The trick is to know when to use 3d printing and when not to. It's not going to replace the 1000s or other manufacturing processes that we already have. It just gives us another choice.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

One advantage I think is that almost everyone, even the non techy guy can do it with only the manuals or tutorials from the internet.

Student
    3D printed items are not as solid as manufactured items. Quality differs too, but it might be solved in time

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    3D printing finds its value in prototyping and special, customized parts. Good quality can be reached but it is labor and time-intensive.
    The main challenge right now is that 3D printing is not as plug-and-play as it may seem, and there is hardly any standardization, so a lot of expertise is delegated to the end user.

I agree that the printing is still not plug and play, it requires a bit of monitoring that is not needed in many other manufacturing processes. It is certainly a significant change in materials and build options, and perhaps more importantly a standard file representation across manufacturers for digital use.

Student
    There is the limitation of materials we could use for 3D printing. So far plastic is the most preferred choice since it can be deposited down to melted layers to form the final part. So strength cannot be accurately tested in many cases.

Hm, that's an interesting question, I don't see any disadvantages...

I am trying to use the 3d printer but on the market is a lot of 3d printers that are low quality. My friend has two and always have some problem. Because they are low budget.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    With a little experience and some cheap mods, the right low budget printer is every bit as good as the expensive ones. But yeah if you pay £130 for a prusa i3 kit. Don't expect a titanium frame, hi-temp steel hot end and bearings made from spherical diamonds :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast