Close

Engineer

Solidoodle Launches Solidoodles 3D File Sharing Site

Interesting, it looks like the 3D design niche of the web has just got a new member. Solidoodle has launched their new website, Solidoodles.com which is an online repository for 3D files. The Solidoodle blog says the following about the new site:

We’ve been hard at work developing a free online repository of 3D printable files for our customers and are proud to announce Solidoodles.com is now open for beta users.

We’ll be sharing all our custom 3D printable models like our little sheep for you to print at home and provide Solidoodlers with a space to share files of their very own. As we expand, expect more custom content and features from Solidoodle just for you.

So check it out and taken note of features you’d like to see as Solidoodles grows. We want to hear about your experience and ideas for building something special for our users, so send your feedback to feedback@solidoodles.com (that’s with an ‘s’ at the end!).
    The site is exclusively geared towards 3D printing, and already has a decent number of 3D models on it, although many are pretty simply. It appears they are looking to to compete with the likes of Thingiverse.com.

Looks like they are trying to compete with Thingiverse, but honestly I dont' see them doing so. Everyone with designs already knows that they can share them on Thingiverse. There really isn't a need for more sites like this. However, I can see why Solidoodle would want a piece of the pie. There is potentially a lot of money that can be made, in running a site like this, not to mention free advertising for their Solidoodle printers.

I think they should concentrate to make competitive printers. The last generation was a really disappointment.

Just wondering, how is this site going? I haven't signed up yet, and was wondering if it's worth it. Is it gaining any traction? Is it pulling anyone away from Thingiverse?