Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Building Universal Peachy Printer Software

Recently I saw that the new peachy printer software has been released on the website for Mac Windows and Linux.

Does anybody know if and when there is going to be a software build created for smaller operating systems that don't have 2.4 ghz processor ???

Not everyone has a newish computer, my main computer is 10 years old.

If I where to buy a peachy printer I would want to run it on a Raspberry Pi also would free up my main computer to do other work.

I think the peachy printer community should strive to build the software to run universally on as many operating systems both big and small including every version of Raspberry Pi and other Arm Computers.

I know it will take time and it defentally won't happen overnight but if it can be done it will make the peachy printer more accessible to more people around the world.

Peachy Printer Founder
    I share your enthusiasm after all how is a 100 dollar printer a money saver if you need a 1000 dollar computer to run it!
    I think the quickest and most likely candidates for what you suggest are the newest Rpi and perhaps a beagle bone

running from source on a GNU system is rather easy.

Another option that we want to explore is an sd card add on, you would use your computer and the peachy software to export your print to the sd card
    then plug the sd card into an addon board that fits on any v1 printer. Then the printer could finish a print without your computer, it would just need 5 volts from a usb charger.
    There are plans to develop this some day.

that sounds awesome with a SD card add-on. almost all FDM printers have some form of this and some have SD storage slot built right onto the board.

Once the peachy printer gets established among the printing community and as things evolve I can see it rivaling some of the high end printers such as the Form1 or Printrbot.

Why is the peachy software so demanding? I would have thought that something that originally could have run from an MP3 player would be far less hardware intensive, what is it exactly that requires so much PC power?

also, is there any way you can get this to run on Windows XP?

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Aztecphoenix View Post
    Why is the peachy software so demanding? I would have thought that something that originally could have run from an MP3 player would be far less hardware intensive, what is it exactly that requires so much PC power?

also, is there any way you can get this to run on Windows XP?
    our minimum specs for running the peachy software are a bit misleading... we dont actually know how it preforms on older machines.
    What we do know is that we only have one dedicated software guy right now and we cant expect him to keep up with testing and maintaining lots of older machines and older OS's.
    Currently we are attempting to test and maintain for about 6 different machines. We dont want to spread James any thinner than he already is. Its already mind bogleing to see what is on his plate on a daily basis and his todo list contains about a years worth of work right now. So for now we have to leave it to the community and the source code to do more.

Still the question as to what the peachy printer software is doing that is demanding is a great one... this will be a fun brain exercise for me seeing as I didn write a line of code on the latest version of the software....

There is alot more going on under the hood then there was back in the days that we used wav files. alto thinking way back to my first "blender modle --> wav file" scrip
    it some times took 45 min to generate a massive wav file that was then used to print later on.

Now we read and execute GCode on the fly. So when a Gcode asks the laser to go from A to B we create a list of all the thousands of points between A and B.
    Next we take those each of those points and apply calibration, So for every point along the way our software dose the math to calculate a correlating calibrated position on the fly in a space that is 18x18 bits, and then we take that calibrated spot and calculate the angle that the mirror needs to point to hit it at the given height. We also send data about the lasers state( on off/ power level) about 1000 times per second.

Another newer computation is the openGL UI with the ability to display an animated view of the print on your screen in 3d( a work in progress). Im not saying that all this wont run on some older machines, but trying to support older machines out of box could be more work than all the new features we plan to write this year.

As for your XP machine, might I suggest a custom live boot of Ubuntu ? and then run from source...
    If someone wants to work on a custom live boot that could do this, I have a few hundred USB sticks I could be loading it onto and sending it out to those in need.

Thanks for the Great questons Aztecphoenix ... so great infact I think I will quote you in our FAQ, so that this is easy to find.
    http://peachyprinter.ipbhost.com/ind...lder-computer/
    Last edited by rylangrayston; 01-26-2016 at 12:06 AM.

While i'm unfortunately not a KS backer, but MUCH later, I do have a teensy 3.2 I'm using for a project (one I plan on using the peechy for prototyping mechanics for!). If we want to try and run it on something like that, I'd be willing to give it a go and do testing.

Unrelated question: For those of us who bought using the backerkit store-front post-KS, when can we expect to start seeing shipments? I realize we're behind the backers, but I'm really looking forward to having the peachy! If we start seeing them around the time the last of the backers get theirs, I should be getting ready to prototype the PCBs for my project (I just got most of the stuff talking on my breadboard prototype!). Suffice it to say, I'm really excited!

[QUOTE=rylangrayston;79287]
    If someone wants to work on a custom live boot that could do this, I have a few hundred USB sticks I could be loading it onto and sending it out to those in need.
    [QUOTE]

Please someone I'm still learning Linux and have no idea how to make a live boot and I think it would be cool to have a quick start system to start printing immediately after assembly.

a cool idea for an upgraded future controller board would be to have built in flash memory with a live boot of Linux and the peachy software pre-loaded that could make the PeachyPrinter fully Plug-and-Play (that is assuming it is even possible)

Engineer-in-Training
    Cd or USB drive?

Here is the link if you have an extra flash drive kicking around. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-windows

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuvin View Post
    Cd or USB drive?

Here is the link if you have an extra flash drive kicking around. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-windows
    Raspberry Pi 2 runs a version of Ubuntu. Has anyone tried running Peachy software on that???

My printer has not arrived yet , so I need to do some prep, can anyone tell me where the printer and scanner software is?????

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
    Raspberry Pi 2 runs a version of Ubuntu. Has anyone tried running Peachy software on that???

My printer has not arrived yet , so I need to do some prep, can anyone tell me where the printer and scanner software is?????
    The new software source is here https://github.com/PeachyPrinter/peachyprinter
    builds for linux windows and mac are here
    http://www.peachyprinter.com/#!get-started/en0zq
    We have not tried it on RPi at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast