Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student
    Add PrintGuy on Facebook

Object prints tapered - troubleshooting

My item keeps coming up distorted where the object is either more narrow on the bottom or the top. My X,Y,Z settings are set 1:1. The plastic looks a little "melty" on the tapered end. I'm looking for troubleshooting suggestions.

Print head setting 220c
    print bed setting 120c
    Printer: Creator Pro FlashForge
    filament used; ABS - hatchbox 1.75mm

thx!

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Print two instead of one. This gives the layer you deposited on the left time to cool while you print one on the right.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pictures ?

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Print two instead of one. This gives the layer you deposited on the left time to cool while you print one on the right.
    Davo nailed it. Your hot end is spending to much time on a small area of the printing causing distortions.

Student
    Add PrintGuy on Facebook
    This is the same object printed two separate ways. The side facing down always comes out tapered. I should also add that I'm using Simplify3D to position the object on the print bed. They have a large number of settings which I'm still figuring out. I set it up for "print quality high" and let the system auto configure the settings. Given the size of my objects I am not able to just "print two". If it's a small part or large part I get the same taper affect:

IMG_2688.JPG

Engineer-in-Training
    First set your heatbed to 95-100 instead of 120. 120 is way over the glass transition point of abs (around 105).

Student
    Add PrintGuy on Facebook
    I'm also having trouble keeping things to stick to the print bed. Will a lower temp make it less "sticky"?
    Last edited by PrintGuy; 02-06-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    That is a problem that is poorly solved by increasing the temperature. It will be either the levelling of the bed (do this very very well) or the bed+'glue' combo. I have excellent results with hairspray (or 3DLac) on glass. What do you use as bed?

Student
    Add PrintGuy on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibert View Post
    First set your heatbed to 95-100 instead of 120. 120 is way over the glass transition point of abs (around 105).
    I tried lowering the bed temp from 120 to 100 and just now finished printing my first piece... it came out "awesome". Thanks for the input here. No more tapper

Student
    Add PrintGuy on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibert View Post
    That is a problem that is poorly solved by increasing the temperature. It will be either the levelling of the bed (do this very very well) or the bed+'glue' combo. I have excellent results with hairspray (or 3DLac) on glass. What do you use as bed?

I'm using kapon tape over a piece of glass cut to the size of the bed. Any hairspray will do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast