Close

Warping with PLA prints

Guys, I'm curious on any feedback with how to deal with warping on larger prints when printing in PLA? I have a Prusa i3 that is able to make really good prints. However, on larger models, the edges keep lifting off the bed. I've played around with various bed temperatures from completely off to around 60C. Should I increase the bed temperature even more to prevent the lower portions of models from cooling and contracting as much or is there something else I should be looking at? I know in the Cura software there is an option for platform adhesion type but I wonder if there is a way around it without having to enable it?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Add a brim.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Yeah adding a brim is a good idea and perhaps pup your temperature to 70 or 75 degrees.

Also depends on the quality of your filament. Poor quality filament won't adhere to the bed so well. Check out www.3dexfilament.co.uk for some high quality filament!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    just use gluestick.

What are you actually printing on ?

You can also put small cuts into the longer sections. Combined with holes, you can relieve a lot of the stress. Check out the bottom of the Pump Jack Base. You will have to rotate the part and look at it from the bottom. You will see small slices that keep the force from accumulating and getting bigger and bigger. Then, the holes in the beams serve the same purpose. By the time the printer is 1/2" up, there is no warping.

Pump_Jack_all_pieces.stl

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Add a brim.
    +1
    add a DAVOPAD!
    (a customized brim)
    Add a .5 mm thick disc about 20X20 to each corner

Guys thanks for the feedback. I will say that previously on my larger prints, I was using some filament that probably wasn't the highest quality. I recently bought a couple new spools that I have yet to try with larger prints. Currently I am printing on an aluminum build platform. I usually do the hairspray trick which has helped with the adhesion on the first layer. I'll play around with adding a brim. Roxy, that is interesting about adding relief cuts. Actually, that seems like a great idea I hadn't thought of.