Close

Build a structured light scanner

Looking in short time for a good scanner I did arrived to consider David Laser Scaner 3.

Appear to be a good product, but appear some does simply purchase the sw and assemble by himself the various components: camera, projector, rail, calibration.

So I'm vary about spending the thousand $ for something I can build from myself with COTS components...or I did under evaluate the effort needed to select, assemble and calibrate the whole ting? Also self assembling it's a real saver, considering a good projector will cost about $800 and a DSLR camera+lens also?

I.e. there are specific needs for the projector and the camera? There are any assembly guide?

Technician
    I bought the David 4 software, their calibration panels, purchased the same projector they use K132, bought my own industrial CCD camera (pretty much the same one they use), used a v-slot linear rail and 3D printed my own adjustable projector and camera mounts. I also bought a new Windows laptop just for the scanner. All in for $2100.00

Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03 CCD camera, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm lens, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts 3D printed.

Lots of info on the David forums.

IMG_2786.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dklassen View Post

Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03 CCD camera, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm lens, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts 3D print
    Thanks! The David forum is full of info, but a bit difficult to grasp for a newbie.
    Above specs appear to be of the DLS2 version, any suggestion to reach the latest DLS3 spec?

Technician
    Never seen the SLS-3 but as far as I know the only difference is the newer CCD and believe me, they charge a mega premium for their camera and I don't see the value in it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by dklassen View Post
    Never seen the SLS-3 but as far as I know the only difference is the newer CCD and believe me, they charge a mega premium for their camera and I don't see the value in it personally.
    Thanks, will be good if you can share more info about the new CCD model, 3d model for the mounts to be printed and the eventual complexity of setup.
    Last edited by davide445; 01-13-2016 at 04:08 AM.