Close

Need design advice - Rotatable connection with power and signal lines

Hello,

I am working on a project to allow the connection of various modules(motorized/sensor-ed/structural/etc) with a universal join type. The difficult part is in the joint's properties: The connection must be the structural connection between the modules and also carry power and signal connection(Minimum 3 wires). I would like these to be able to be rotated anywhere in a 360 degree angle on the axis of the connection and maintain its angle. This may be done with a friction plate or possibly a set screw, ideally I can modify the amount of force required rotate the part.

The end result I wish to achieve is all the connected modules sharing power lines and a signal line. This seems to disqualify a stereo jack style connector as it would cross power and signal lines when attaching.

Is there an example of a friction hold joint out there that is 3D printed or otherwise?

Slip rings that are mostly 3D printed? I would like to stay away from incorporating 3rd party slip ring as it would be prohibitively expensive to have 3+ of these per module.

Here are my rough designs so far: (Pardon my art abilities)

WP_20160110_01_46_24_Pro_LI[1].jpg
    The male end simply a cylinder cut in half with 3 contacts placed on the flat side. The female end is more complicated: What I have drawn is a cylinder with the male connectors shaped removed from the face. Internally the connections would be translated to contact rings on the sides. This entire receiver would then rotate 360 degrees inside the module with the half moon shape exposed to the outside. The cylinder could be fit snuggly enough to get the holding force I am looking for.

Or the entire joint can be self contained and all the modules will have only female ports only.
    WP_20160110_01_51_37_Pro_LI[1].jpg
    This would rotate around center-line... basically a custom slip ring that takes a lot of force to rotate. I do not know where to start to make internals that could be 3d printed to achieve this. I like this connector better as it allows the use of a "dumb" version without the rotation ability for when rotation is not desired.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    What kind of load would the power contacts being handling? I think this is very doable, but will be an assembly nightmare if I'm understanding you correctly.

What about a connection point that moves on it's outer body, like a slip groove. I know it would not be truly 360, in the same fashion you're looking for, but it may work.

Excuse the sloppy drawing...

20160110_092454.jpg