Close

What is the difference between Creator Pro and Dreamer?

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and I want to buy either Flashforge Creator Pro or Dreamer, but I don't know their differences. Could anyone tell me? Thanks for help!

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Dreamer is closed source and has flawed thermocouple temp sensor in how they are wired to monitor the nozzle temp.

Creator Pro is more solid, maintains open source functionality and is all around a better printer than the Dreamer.

Mechanically they are similar, Dreamer has a touch screen and wifi.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Oh I hadn't heard about this flaw. Can you elaborate? I really like the enclosed design of the Dreamer and was debating on getting one.

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Dreamer is closed source and has flawed thermocouple temp sensor in how they are wired to monitor the nozzle temp.
    That's a false statement made by someone a while back. Sad it still sticks around. There was an incorrect assumption that the extra connection at the top of the extruder assembly applied additional resistance to the wires. It does, but extremely small amount and doesn't affect the temp reading at all. The thermistor reading is adjusted for this change in resistance, variances in production of the Thermistor and many other changes. My tests with my Dreamer have shown it's temp to be pretty consistent and pretty correct. Not that the Pro's not better, it is in a few ways. But the Dreamer is a great printer. The $100 difference to the Pro does get you a better machine for someone who's into the 3D thing for a long time though. The extruder on the Pro is more standardized allowing for more options of upgrades later down the road, if that makes any difference to you. The Dreamer looks better sitting on a desk being smaller and more stylistic, if that matters. (personal opinion of course...) and has a few more features. Here's a good side by side if that helps: http://findstuff1.com/flashforge-cre...er-review.html
    Last edited by Nargg; 01-10-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    That's a false statement made by someone a while back. Sad it still sticks around. There was an incorrect assumption that the extra connection at the top of the extruder assembly applied additional resistance. It does, but extremely small amount and doesn't affect the temp reading at all. My tests with my Dreamer have shown it's temp to be pretty consistent and pretty correct. Not that the Pro's not better, it is in a few ways. But the Dreamer is a great printer. The $100 difference to the Pro does get you a better machine for someone who's into the 3D thing for a long time though. The Dreamer looks better sitting on a desk, if that matters. (personal opinion of course...)

No it is still flawed, they just added the exhaust fans in the back to keep the machine from melting down.

The design flaw is the thermocouple being terminated in the junction box at the top of the print head. This creates a false reading since the thermocouple relies on 2 temps, ambient temp outside of the printer and heater block temp. What happens when the thermocouple is terminated inside the build area is the ambient temp keeps going up because of the heated area inside the printer. The thermocouple system is looking for a temp difference between ambient and the heater block. So if your ambient temp goes up the temp controller turns back on to compensate. The end result is thermal runaway and melt down, possible fire hazard. Again they kind of fixed this with the exhaust fans, but this isn't an idea setup for some materials which like a constant build chamber temp.

You can fix this by buying a creator pro thermocouple and running it from the heater block direct to the mainboard.

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    No it is still flawed, they just added the exhaust fans in the back to keep the machine from melting down.
    Right, That wouldn't fix the "problem" as you describe it. Most likely this was a first generation issue, and is no longer a problem. The fans were added for better PLA printing. The printer does fine with temps with the fans turned off, usually done for ABS printing. Again, no longer a problem and not worth mentioning any more. That statement you posted should stop being used.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    Right, That wouldn't fix the "problem" as you describe it. Most likely this was a first generation issue, and is no longer a problem. The fans were added for better PLA printing. The printer does fine with temps with the fans turned off, usually done for ABS printing. Again, no longer a problem and not worth mentioning any more. That statement you posted should stop being used.
    Actually fans do fix the "problem"... not the best way since it pulls in fresh outside ambient air to cool the chamber. Not a really good idea, but it was necessary since the printers were melting down and becoming serious fire hazards.

The only real fix is to rewire the heater block thermocouples directly to the mainboard and bypass the junktion box...

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse

Actually fans do fix the "problem"... not the best way since it pulls in fresh outside ambient air to cool the chamber. Not a really good idea, but it was necessary since the printers were melting down and becoming serious fire hazards.

The only real fix is to rewire the heater block thermocouples directly to the mainboard and bypass the junktion box...

Ah! Cool. different that what I heard. Funny how things change on the internet. Glad I got the 2nd generation. All's good. Thanks.